Friday 2 November 2018

Thursday 01-11-2018 - Windmill Cost Cutter - Match Lake

What is the financial state of the UK Tackle Industry? I heard this week that Daiwa made £10,000 profit last financial year. I accept that I haven't seen the balance sheet to fully understand any investments etc.. but it doesn't look good for such a prestige company being in this state. Further we have Drennan having delivery issues with spares for the Acolyte Carp poles not available for 8 weeks! They aren't alone in this respect. The future of the tackle industry is in their hands with a need to start investing heavily in more kids start up programmes - otherwise...

The neck is taking it's time to get better, missed last weekend to rest it but couldn't sit home anymore so chose to fish local at Windmill. Was told by BBC app that there was zero chance of rain. So why did we all get wet setting up.

Enigma and me had a pre-draw walk around the Lake. The water level was 2 foot down and had gone clear, we didn't see any sign of fish - not one pimp. I thought it was going to be a very hard match.

Into the draw bag and out come milk bottle top 4 - AGAIN! This time of year the Carp vacate this area with perhaps a few showing over to the island which I couldn't reach if I wanted to, should of brought the waggler rod. So easy decision Silvers all day. Had Matey Two Pots Bailey on next peg 5 and Ray Bazeley on end peg 2.  A 4x14 Winter Titan with 808 number 20 hook was the only rig set up to fish t/s plus three barrels out of respect for the neck. GB mixed, micro wetted, Pinkie's and LR's on the bait tray. Initially I cupped in a knub of GB laced with Pinkie and with Pinkie on the hook I hooked a Ronnie first try which fell off as did the next four! I was finding holding the pole niggling the shoulder so took the opportunity make set-up the Ronnie rig and move the fish closer to hand. This worked and I had a run of 30 - 40 small fish. Then suddenly they disappeared. I didn't think it was due to
my feeding. So rested it and went back out long with single LR and had a run of more Ronies this time they were staying on. So a pattern set by switching between the two lines adding four Skimmers and a pound Perch in between catching Ronnies. During the last hour the temperature significantly dropped subsequently I think affected the fishing as I only had three fish during this time. I didn't hook any Carp and looking at the weigh sheet this was remarkable especially with so many Carp caught.

I weighed 10 lb 8 oz which was more than enough to win the Silvers. So another good day out and the neck not feeling any worse - last to be weighed - me pictured in the dark with my Perch.

The match was won by Pete Turner (pictured top right with some of his catch) with 82 lb from peg 8. Pete caught on waggler over sprayed maggot. So a Silvers win last match and a match win this time. I think Pete must be cutting down how long he spends on the phone!

The match was a tight affair with Bob Warren coming a close second with 76 lb 4 oz (pictured right - still light when Bob was weighed in!)

Finally Two Pots caught his 60 lb of Carp mainly on maggot over BUT did have two on the paste!

Back to the pub with the usual suspects and a right old laugh.

Result:

1. Pete Turner 82-0-0 peg 8
2. Bob Warren 76-04-0 peg 20
3. John Smith 75-04-0 peg 14

Silvers:

1. Mike Nicholls 10-08-0 peg 4
2. Dave Poole 4-0-0 peg 12
3. Ken Morgan 2-02-0 peg 11

Weigh Sheet:


No comments: