Monday 3 September 2018

Sunday 02/09/2018 - Ivy House Open - Moorhen and Kingfisher Canals

Bela and I arrived at the fishery in plenty of time, but found ourselves well down the breakfast list. Bela was counting down as the breakfasts came out and became very fidgety, at one time I thought he was going for the nearest sausage and there's me without a collar and lead!

It was a surprise to see old Avon Angling team mate Pete Phillips (pictured right) who has started back fishing after a very long layoff. Welcome back matey.

After Bela did his bit of retail therapy in Andy's tackle shop it was into the draw tin and out comes white ball 26. Which is far end of Moorhen Canal. Bela drew the same canal near end peg 35. This canal has the reputation of Carp near end and Silvers the other, however, I'm not convinced, fish swim and very fast. I don't think it matters too much where you draw on these canal's because you can get a days fishing from any of them.

Arriving at the peg it was flat calm with a very light wind blowing from left to right so really wanted to fish the Ronnie rig to my right, but there was too many branches hanging over the water from a small tree. Andy the Bailiff came along and agreed I could trim it, which I did. 

Ronnie rig, a 4x14 Winter to fish top-set plus two out in front and a 4x12 winter to fish over the Ronnie rig in three foot of water. I started by feeding the long line with some corn but started on the Ronnie rig with caster and caught a small Roach first try, I soon relised that the Roach weren't really having the caster so switched to the red live maggot which did improve things but the fish weren't big enough to warrant to keeping at them. So I went out on the corn and had a small Tench and a couple of Skimmers. Looking around to my right it looked as if it was fishing hard. I could see Chris Telling regularly losing fouled hooked Carp. After an hour things had slowed right up for me. I couldn't see the anglers to my left so had a pee and a walk Jason owned up to 12 - 15 lb of Silvers and end peg Pete was struggling. I reckon I had about the same amount of Silvers. So in the running. I put some more corn in with adding some micro. The swim immediately started to fizz, but I couldn't get a bite on the corn. I was now wishing I pumped up some expanders. I was really struggling for bites even on the Ronnie rig adding only a few Perch! Decision made to do a "Baggy" and set up two paste rigs one for long and the other for over the Ronnie line. I decide on small pieces of paste and things livened up catching some decent Skimmers. I would feed long line switch to margin line this rotation kept the Skimmers coming plus the occasional Carp. With an hour to go I reckon I was on for double bubble. It's always the same once you think this things change and they did, the peg completely died. Whereas I could hear Jason bagging on Skimmers and Bela and Chris now catching Carp over. I was sat there wishing for the match to end!!

My six Carp weighed 33 lb and my Silvers 39 lb for a total of 72 lb for third pick up and second in the Silvers. I knew I should have sep up 13 metres and fished the paste over in the last hour but couldn't be arsed to set it up. I think this cost me a few quid extra.

The match was won by Chris Telling (pictured right - lucky to get this one as he takes ages to pack his kit away - Tea Pot) with 96 lb 2 oz from Moorhen peg 33. Chris caught most of his fish over using maggot over potted maggot. Chris caught most of his fish in the later stages of the match.

The Silvers was won by Jason (pictured right with his catch) with 43 lb 3 oz from Moorhen peg 24. Jason caught on worm over worm caster and corn all chopped up together. Jason caught most of his fish during the last hour.

Because Bela was having his 11.5 metre section repaired he borrowed one from matey Shaun Putley, which proved useless if you leave your 10 metre section at home. Duh!! However, this didn't prevent Bela weighing in 86 lb for second on the day so double bubble van again.

Great company and venue. 
Result:

1. Chris Telling 96-02-0 peg 33 M
2. Bela Bakos 86-12-0 peg 35 M
3. Mike Nicholls 72 -0-0 peg 26 M

Silvers:

1. Jason 43-12-0 peg 24 M
2. Mike Nicholls 39-0-0 peg 26 M
3. Stu White 31-0-0 peg 43 K

Weigh Sheet:


No comments: