Monday 27 August 2018

Sunday 26/08/2018 - Tony Rixon's Float Only - Final Round - Viaduct Fishery - Campbell and Carey Lakes

With Bela on family duties I travelled with Two Pots Bailey. We fuelled up in Canards Well on large breakfasts - far too much for us, apparently they do a small one.

Forecast was for rain all day and they weren't wrong!

I have missed three of the six matches so not concerned about fishing for points. I was hoping to draw Carey where I thought was the best chance of a Silvers pickup. Into the draw box and out comes peg 123 on Campbell. This peg has produced more silver weights over the years than any other peg on the venue. However, it has gradually declined particularly in the summer months due I think to them preferring to me near the aerator the other end of the Lake. This wouldn't stop me initially fishing for them. For company I had Chris Fox on 124 and Leon Hubbard on 121.

A 4 x12 winter to fish banded pellet at top-set plus two out in front and a 0.3 gram SB paste rig. On the bait tray - hard 4's which was soon converted to mushy 4's by nature and in the bait tray drawer paste - simple.


I started by loose feeding six hard fours over the banded 4 pellet and had a Carp first try, which due to the light line I was using it took me an age to land. - Umm. Because the big Silvers also like paste I switched over, but started kindering in six pellets and had a good run only topping up if it slowed. Of course there is this extreme temptation to dump a big pot in with the expectation of catching more. I finally secombed and as half expected less is more as I started to foul hook - bugger. So abandoned the line and started afresh at top-set plus three round to my left at 10 - o'clock. This time having the discipline to fish for one fish at a time.  I caught steady until the last hour when the wind subsided adding only three more Carp. Close to the end there was a big crash followed by a lot of talk. I looked around and thought I could see a otter but it was far too small and I can confirm Steve has a Walrus in the Lake - pictured upper right!  I lost one hooked properly trying to get it off bottom and only four foul hookers. I always like it when you start and finish with the same rig.


I did manage four accidental Skimmers which weighed 8 lb and my Carp 182 lb 14 oz for a total of 190 lb 14 oz. This did get me the section by double defaut!! The Lakes fished really well with my weight only good enough for 8th overall. Very enjoyable days fishing and Mission accomplished. Glenn was was second in his section which put him 5th overall in the league so double bubble car again and well done to him.

The match was won by Dan "The Walrus" White (pictured right with the Silvers winner) with 280 lb 1 oz from peg 112. Dan caught initially long on pellet switched over to meat short and finally paste in both margins.

The Silvers was won by Shaun Kitteridge with 43 lb from peg 88 on Carey. Shaun caught mainly hand size Skimmers fishing expander over GB laced with micro. Excellent weight on the day which also earned him the highest Silver weight of the series.

"Some say that he can speak braille and that he once stared at an orange juice box for an hour because on it was the word “concentrate”, and that he only drinks from cup holders". All I know it's The Trig again. 

The series was won by Craig Edmonds with 25 points and 1,061 lb of fish over the six matches. The top six slayers pictured below.



Thanks to Tony for running the league particularly Steve Evans - it can be easy for him. Steve Long has certainly put the pressure on the anglers with his new net limits with one disqualification today and a few of us sweating.

Result on the day:





















Weigh Sheets:









































Overall League Result:





No comments: