Wednesday 5 September 2018

Tuesday 04/09/2018 - Acorn Cost Cutter - Paddocks

With my Grandchildren now back to school I have Tuesdays free so decided to try Acorn Fishery with matey Glen Bailey.  I haven't been here for 15 months so expected some changes. Ater a stop at the burger van it was time to catch up with some of the guys I haven't seen for a while, nice to see MD (Bob Feltham) out with his mate Turkey. I have been hearing good things about the Roach fishing so decided to buy a pint of maggots in the on site tackle shop. On hindsight I should have considered doing this after the draw! Into the draw bag and out come ping pong ball 33. This is the only second time I've drawn a bridge peg - even better 250 lb of Carp came off of it last Tuesday. Anyhow I had financed the Silvers so would try that first. Glenn did say you won't be on that long! He was right of course. For company I had Keith Fisher the other side of the bridge and Keith Ray the venue record holder on peg 30. So with two Keith's it was a question of the wrong answers to the wrong questions!

I set up the Ronnie rig for maggot over maggot and two paste rigs one for up to the bridge on the left side in 4 foot of water and the other to the right in 2 foot, both to fish on the top-set. As committed I started on the Ronnie rig and had a few small Roach, a Crucian and a couple of 6 oz Skimmers before the small Perch attended the food table, it was one a bung with an occasional Roach. Then the Carp arrived foul hooking two consecutively. With 45 minutes gone I threw the towel in on the Silvers and went down to the bridge with the paste over 4's and started to catch the odd decent Carp to 8 lb. There were signs of plenty of Carp there as I was getting loads of indications however, it appeared they were taking the free offerings but tapping the paste, strangely I wasn't foul hooking just missing what looked like sail-away bites - a bit of a mystery. I finally put it down to it being too deep and the Carp were feeding higher in the water. Now in the third hour I switched to the right and did catch better, BUT I was unaware that the fish would go straight under the metal pallet, it was carnage I lost two decent Carp and two rigs before I got quicker hauling elastic in. I did lose another Carp and rig due to it jumping out of the water and hitting the post on the bridge! My wrecks shown upper right. With an hour to go I took the decision to tip back 3 lb of Silvers to use the fourth net for carp - first time ever - sacrilege. The upshot was that although there were plenty of Carp about they didn't seem to be nailing the paste like I remember here. On the way home Glenn also had a similar experience with paste and was deeply concerned that paste was coming to a seasonal end.

My Silver weighed - Duh. My Carp weighed 155 lb 4 oz for fourth overall.

The match was won by Callum Dicks (pictured upper right with some of his catch) with 221 lb 5 oz from peg 37. Callum caught on hard pellet either long over or down his RH margin.

The Silvers was won by Eddie Wynne with 15 lb 11 oz from bridge peg 21. Matey and today's neighbour Keith Fisher (pictured right with his Skimmers and Roach catch) weighed 11 lb 14 oz for third Silvers. Well done matey.

Result:

1. Callum Dicks 221-05-0 peg 37
2. Keith Ray 201-11-0 peg 30
3. Pete Lassons 162-06-0 peg 17
4. Mike Nicholls 155-04-0 peg 33
5. John Thompson 141-03-0 peg 13
6. Bob Smith 135-08-0 peg 1

Silvers:

1. Eddie Wynne 15-11-0 peg 21
2. Mike Chapman 12-06-0 peg 7
3. Keith Fisher 11-14-0 peg 34

Weigh Sheets:

















No comments: