Friday 27 July 2018

Thursday 26/07/2018 - Shiplate Fishery - Cost Cutter - Westpool and Hawthornes

With the schools now on summer holidays the twin Granddaughters wanted to go fishing again, so with a picnic packed it was off to Boyd Valley Lake where we set up camp (pictured right) to keep the "Special One" out of the sun. It was very hot but the Girls stuck at it all day catching Roach regularly on Ronnie rigs. The Ronnies were very obliging with no need to feed the caster, if they did chances were they would hook a very angry Carp. This fishery is stuffed with fish. The next day I decided to get out Dads old pole; a Maver Abyss and relasticate it for the Girls use. I inspected the pole for damage - there was none. I did notice it was dirty so decided to give it a clean. During this I noticed some of Dads hand prints on it and got emotional, questioning if I might be wiping some of him away.


With Geoff working today I travelled with Two Pots Glenn Bailey. Luckily he has got his Aircon working. The match was switched from the Main Lake to Hawthornes and Westpool. The forecast was for the hottest day of the year at 30 plus, so was hoping to draw a short walk, so peg 1 on Hawthorne's would do nicely. Into the draw tub and out comes the furthest walk Westpool 15 - bugger. Arriving at peg 1 looking down the Canal I could see a build up of surface sludge - Umm. Arriving at the peg I found 15 Canadian Geese sat on my platform, which I soon persuaded to move on (pictured right). Indeed there was a build up of sludge covering most of my peg. I was
hoping for some wind, but it was to remain flat calm all day. Tony Rixon had drawn it Sunday so had a quick chat with him to discover he doesn't know the difference between 13 metres and 15 metres! He persuaded me to fish for Silvers! Which was the right decision as most of the fish are on the far bank and with plenty of Methodists about I couldn't compete with Carp. However, the sludge would prove difficult to get through with a light hook bait (pictured right).

Just two rigs a 4 x 12 F1 and the Ronnie rig. I started on the F1 with 4 mm expander hook bait over wetted micro and with little choice on where to fish choosing top-set plus one to my right where the sludge was the thinnest. Missed a bite first try followed by a 1 lb Skimmer followed quickly by two small Tench and a Ronnie. I then hooked a 3 lb Carp which appeared to kill the swim. I tried re-feeding but most probably wasn't patient enough to stick with it. So armed with the Ronnie rig and red live maggot started over the same swim and catch a few Ronnies before that died. I switched to fishing along the LH margin and managed to keep the ronnie coming to the end, interrupted occasionally by the odd Carp, two found the keep net whilst others were quitely poked away with the cupping set. With 30 minutes to go I was aware of things crawling up my leg. On inspection I realised I was sat on a flying Ant's nest, the air around me was full of flying Ants for about 10 minutes. Packing up I noticed a large group of Ants carrying a dead Maggot away.

My three Carp weighed 7 lb 2 oz and my Silvers 18 lb which gave me second Silvers pick up. Mission accomplished.


The match was won Two Pots Bailey (pictured right with the Silvers winner) with 206 lb 6 oz from Hawthorns peg 9. Glenn fished top-set plus two using paste over wetted 4's. Glenn did struggle with presentation due to the aerator running all match, a double edge sword.

The Silvers was won by Nigel Wickham with 28 lb from Westpool peg 6. Nigel caught maily Skimmers using worm heads or corn over chopped worm feed.

All I can say it was bloody hot in this peg with no escape from the sun. I nearly packed up early. However, I did challenge myself to walk back without stopping.

Although a very very hot day it was very memorable and another double bubble for the Renault.

Result:

1. Glenn Bailey 206 -06 -0 peg 6 (HT)
2. Gary "Methodist" Flinders 164-04-0 peg 12 (WP) - New Lake Record
3. Steve "Happy Birthday" Segar 153-14-0 peg 2 (WP)
4. Andy Fry 146-11-0 peg 2 (HT)

Silvers:

1. Nigel Wickham 28-0-0 peg 6 (WP)
2. Mike Nicholls 18-0-0 peg 15 (WP)
3. Ray Wickham 16-0-0 peg 14 (HT)
4. Glenn Bailey 14-04-0 peg 6 (HT) Accidental Skimmers

Weigh Sheets:























No comments: