Monday 2 July 2018

Thursday 01/07/2018 - Tony Rixon's Float Only - Todber Manor - Hillview and Homeground

The third round of the float only saw a change of venue this year from Landsend to Todber Manor, which was a popular move; with 15 pegs on Homeground and 30 pegs on Hillview. I was hoping to be on Homeground as it has more catchable Silvers. However, first stop the EG Diner (was Little Chef). Bela obviously enjoyed his "Mighty" breakfast.

It was possible we could have some lightning and heavy downpours. I must admit the skies looked a bit troubled but with some wind blowing it did feel comfortable even though very muggy.

Into the draw box and out comes peg 42 on Hillview - one from where I was in the short pole, so not that enthused. I did win the Silvers from peg 41 but Homeground wasn't in. However, that wouldn't stop me having a looksee.

For company I had Chris Ship on corner peg 43 and Jack "The Cat" Billet on peg 41. I set up the Ronnie rig, a 4x10 Malman Yoof for the very very shallow margin finding 18 inches 1 metre from the bank, a 4x14 Malman Winter Titan to fish at top-set plus three - the long line, a 0.3 gram paste float, finally a 9 inch waggler - which wasn't used but fed the waggler line some maggot anyway.

I fed the long line with some corn and micro, but started on the Ronnie rig. It took a while to catch a Ronnie. In the meantime everyone I could see were catching Carp regularly. The upshot was after 45 minutes the Ronnie rig was abandoned as I was being pestered by small Perch. So out on the long line with single kernel of corn hoping for some of the better Bream, but had a few small Carp. I then potted some casters in the LH downwind edge and tried the caster a couple of small Tench and and a multitude of tiny Perch followed. Jack Billet had caught a 11 lb Catfish which count as Silvers at the venue ("Jack the Cat" pictured right with his pussy). The writing was on the wall not going to beat Homeground on the Silvers. So paste it would be for the remainder of the match. I had plumbed up on the top-set straight in front in about 3 foot of water. I started by feeding hard 4's. It started slow but once the wind changed direction slightly blowing straight at me I started to catch well and better fish than the stamp. Once the wind dropped things slowed and the bites became iffy, I think the fish came up in the water. It wasn't until I decided to put 1 pint of casters in on the paste line that things hotted up again catching Carp to 6lb. I have to confess I did have some accidental Skimmers and Tench, with three decent Bream flying off the hook due to having upped the elastic to keep pace in the fish race. I fed one tin of corn, 1 pint of casters and 1/2 pint of 4's.


My Silvers weighed in at 14 lb 4 oz and my Carp 135 lb 14 oz for a section win and a sixth over placing. Now if I hadn't bothered with the Silvers then .....that's now history. Unfortunately I have to miss the next two matches so that's my league over with - good luck to my subs.

The match was won by Craig Edmonds (pictured right with the Silvers winner) with 179 lb 11 oz from corner peg 81 on Homeground. Craig caught on pellet at either 13 metres, 5 metres and later from his margin.


"Some say he has won the lottery without buying a ticket, and that he can win a marathon … while walking". All I know it's The Trig again.

The Silvers was won by Steve Nadin with 41 lb 12 oz from end peg 90 on Homeground. Steve caught three of the big Bream with most of his weight made up of 12 oz to 1 lb Skimmers. He fished meat over meat and GB combo. The question hanging - were the accidentals?

With a late finish and with only two sets of scales and with about 4,000 of Carp to weigh in I didn't get home until 21:00!! Need to rethink scales and starting time for this venue.


Finally who wears trainers like these?
Result:

1. Craig Edmonds 179-11-0 peg 81 HG
2. Steve Nadin 172-04-0 peg 90 HG
3. Ryan Ship 162-14-0 peg 53 HV
4. Dan White 162-07-0 peg 82 HG
5. Gary O'Shea 156-09-0 peg 54 HV
6. Mike Nicholls 150-12-0 peg 42 HV

Silvers:

1. Steve Nadin 41-12-0 peg 90 HV
2. Nick Brown 24-08-0 peg 84 HV
3. Lee Williams 20-10-0 peg 79 HV

Weigh Sheets:





















No comments: