Monday 4 December 2017

Sunday 03/12/2017 - Ricky Mills Knock up - Westerleigh - New Canal

Ricky Mills was running a match on the “New Canal” (I suppose now the New New Canal) so I talked Geoff Francis and Bela Bakos into coming as I was interested in the changes which have been recently made. The Canal had been completely drained finding only a few small fish remaining after being devastated by Otters. The diggers moved in, making vast improvements (pictured upper right). The Canal has been dug to about six foot in the deepest part with a decent 2-3 foot shelf on both inside and over. I thought it a well designed little fishery. The Canal has been partly stocked with small Carp to 3lb and Skimmers from 4oz to 2lb. Mark Taylor (pictured right) who has leased the fishery for 20 years or more recognises more fish are needed with more Carp expected this week. Mark is also in the planning stages for that much needed Otter fence. At a friendly push it could take 15 anglers.

After breakfast in Wetherspoons, this was hot for a change, then a short drive to the fishery. With only eight fishing today we were for reasons to be come apparent were all bunched at one end. I drew peg 24 which was half way down the RH side an end peg really.

One 4x14 rig did for anywhere down the middle and a 4x10 for over at 13 metres. I fed some wetted micro at top-set plus two out in front and some GB laced with Pinkies at top-set plus three at 2-o-clock. Started on the 4mm pellet and had indications straight away catching two small pretty Carp and one Skimmer. It then died so went over the GB with double Pinkie and had another Carp and a Skimmer. With only fifteen minutes gone I was expectant of a good days fishing. Alas not because for the remaining 5 ¼ hours I didn’t have a bite!! Whilst the two end pegs 21 and 26 caught steady all day. I found it interesting that the near end peg 21 caught all Carp and the other end peg 26 caught mainly Skimmers. I’m guessing that they have come from different sources.

I weighed 1lb 15oz to coming joint last with Geoff Francis who was opposite me.

I had a few walks around taking some pictures – right Lionel Legg landing one of the better Carp, Bela fishing long as per usual – missing bites.

The match was won by Shaun Putney (pictured right with his catch) with 52lb from peg 21. Shaun caught on anything other than maggot?

The Silvers was won by Mark with 18lb 4oz from peg 26. Mark caught on Pinkie over Pinkie and GB.

It was going to be close who would pick up the Silvers pool by default, Bela, Ricky and I all had two Skimmers. Bela did have a Goldfish in with the Silvers and as scales man I did say if it didn’t have barbel’s I would count it, it didn’t, so giving Bela the edge, “nicking” the default pool with 2lb 14oz.

Full Result:

  1. Shaun Putney 52-0-0 peg 21
  2. Mark Taylor 26-04-0 peg 26
Silvers:

  1. Mark Taylor 18-04-0 peg 26
Weigh Book:


No comments: