Sunday 31 December 2017

Sunday 31/12/2017 - Windmill Fishery Open - Match Lake

I don’t know a fishery with flood lights for tonight so that’s the end of 2017 fishing for me, today being my 101st match of the year , which Geoff Francis and me decided to spend at Windmill. We had breakfast at Staple Hill Wetherspoons, the food still not as hot as I prefer, but OK.

I wasn’t expecting a great turnout with a few of the regulars chancing their luck at Brimscombe Park. We had eight just enough for a golden peg. With no Dave Haines who was at home still trying to understand why he caught so many fish at Hillview Friday. Dave Willmott and I choose the pegs, both agreeing to keep us out of the wind favouring the top end deep water.

Into the draw box and out came peg 25. I was happy with this one. Arriving at the peg it was clear the water had affected the bank making it very slushy. However, the water had some colour so I could fish close.

Choose to fish a 4x16 to fish at top-set plus three (with a fourth as ballast) which, because of the influx of rain needed an extra 18 inches added to the rig. The only other rig was a 4 x12 to fish on the top-set down wind where I hand 4 foot of water!

I feed the close line with GB and maggot and the long line with wetted micro and DR’s. I started on the long line with double DR’s on the hook. The wind wasn’t kind with the float going with it and towards me. Soon abandoned but not before I re-fed a decent amount of the same. On to the short line and it was a very small Ronnie and Perch every put-in. I stayed on this until the wind died then back out on the long line where I had a few small Skimmers and Ronnie’s. And that’s how the match went switching in and out when the wind permitted, which kept the bites coming. In the last few remaining minutes I hooked a 2lb Carp.

My one Carp actually weighed 1lb 13oz and my Silvers 5lb 13oz for a second overall weight of 7lb 10oz.

The match was won by matey Andy Gard (pictured upper centre with the runner up) with 18lb 5oz from peg 5. Andy had one Carp on the waggler and a near double on the pole plus some decent Skimmers to make it a double Bubble. All caught on maggot.

Well Done to Chris Davis who packed up with a hour to go to play FOOTGOLF!

Full Result:

  1. Andy Gard 18-08-0 peg 5
  2. Mike Nicholls 7-10-0 peg 25
Top Silvers:

  1. Andy Gard 7-0-0 peg 5
  2. Mike Nicholls 5-13-0 peg 25
Weigh Sheet:


No comments: