Monday 11 December 2017

Sunday 10/12/2017 - Viaduct Individual Silvers League - Final Round Six - Campbell, Carey and Lodge Lakes

Bela’s big box of nails was becoming a bit too risky to drive long distances and has booked it in for repair next Tuesday, so my turn to drive. Heavy rain over night left plenty of surface water along the way. Breakfast at Canards well which was acceptable.

As could be anticipated a few no shows plus plenty of talk of anglers not going to certain pegs. Late into the draw coffee tin and out comes peg Campbell 125. Thank God for arranging for me to have the wind off my back. Peg 125 would normally a peg you want in a Silvers match but as recent results show the Silvers have migrated south along with the Carp. It was a hard slog walking to my peg in the high winds, blimey it was rough which made setting up all the more difficult. For company I had Colin Dyer and Glenn Calvert who had fished this section last match with 7lb winning it. We were promised high winds to 50 mph for the first part of the match and then flat calm for the remainder and that’s what we got, but needed to add continuous rain. I know if I was under a one of the big Willows I would have moved – not sure where as the section was full. One Tree did come down in the car park falling between two cars, how lucky was Steve Kedge.

I set up the waggler which once I got the hang of the back cast into the wind I found the float behaving well, gently going against the wind. I think I could have cast it to Lodge Lake. I also set up the margin pole in case it got blown in to fish a 4x14 at top-set plus three over GB laced with Pinkie. The next issue was feeding the caster. With the wind as it was I had no idea where they landed, much too far was my guess. First cast with single caster I had a 2oz Ronnie. Next cast a bonus Perch just shy of 2lb. Good start. I could get a bite from Ronnie’s every cast and decided that these along with the Perch would put me up for a section win. I did try the pole a couple of times after I had over fed the peg catching just one Ronnie which fell off. The feeding pattern was difficult but found it wasn’t a question of little and often, more fish the feed out day. I was anticipating catching some more quality late on which I might have done had I not pulled out of it – was it a big Perch or a foul hooked Carp – don’t know. I along with everyone else fishing was glad to hear the all out it, I had lost the feeling in my hands by then.

I weighed 9lb 14oz for a section win. I finished the league with 14 points and fifteenth overall which on reflection was OK. Three matches I think I got the most from the pegs with three others not so. One I should have fished soft pellet instead of meat, the second leaving it too late to fish for Ronnie’s, another I didn’t feed enough. All this learning will hopefully be taken into next year’s league, being replaced with something different I suspect.

The venue fished surprisingly well especially under such terrible conditions

Bela did a “Default Dave” also picking up, so the car was a double bubbler today. Who needs an excuse to stop for Fish and Chips and a pint?
 
Today’s match win was shared by Nick Ewers and Mr Pin-up Vince Brown (pictured right) both weighing 24lb 8oz. Nick was on Carey peg 77 and caught at 11.5 metres fished maggot over GB catching hand size Skimmers all through the match. Vince fished Lodge peg 59 catching decent Skimmers at 13 metres using caster hook bait tipped with a Pinkie over GB and lots of caster.

“Some say he has three GCSE’s all in domestic science, and that he’s been producing artificial sperm for years – even though some have repeatedly asked him not to. All I know it’s The Trig.”

As we expected Craig Edmonds won the over league with 7 points (dropping 3) making the most of four good draws. Well done The Trig. The top Five pictured right with their spoils.


A big thank you goes to Matt Long for running a well organised and enjoyable league. And a special thanks to Steve Long for finally working out how the kettle and microwave works.

Full Result:

  1. Nick Ewers Peg 77 and Vince Brown 24-08-0 peg 59
  1. Tony Rixon 18-0-0 peg 99 and peg 97
  2.  Joe McMahon 15-07-0 peg 78
  3. Stu White 14-11-0 peg 70
  4. John Fuidge 14-03-0 peg 55
Weigh Sheet:




















































Overall Final League Result:


No comments: