Thursday 30 November 2017

Thursday 30-11-2017 - Harescombe Cost Cutter - Match Lake

A bit of hook tying yesterday  before today's match, all done with my own fingers and thumbs (pictured right note fisherman's excuse mug)

Geoff and I decided to fish Harescombe today even though it’s not fishing that well at the moment. Nothing to do with the fishery, all to do with the weather conditions I think. Andrew Price keeps a very close eye on what’s going on with this fishery – keep the Cormorants at bay I say.

I was amazed that we had 12 fishing, bearing in mind that this fishery is at least 500 metres above sea level (well on a hill)  and with the wind in the North which would blow in between the Malvern Hills and the weather forecast was for exactly that.

After breakfast with the usual suspects it was in to the draw and yippee on the near bank and in one of my favourite pegs 15. For company I had Mr. Kingfisher (pictured right) who caught a 1 inch long Ronnie before I did! I set up the usual two rigs, however, the 4x10 didn’t get an airing because after feeding six Pinkies which I thought for some reason was sinking very slowly only to realised that the water was so clear I could see the feed falling well down!

I really wanted to fish to my right at top-set plus two put having started there I soon had to switch to my left on the basis of me surviving in the freezing wind. In doing so I decided not to feed anything and had a 1lb Skimmer, but as a stalwart river angler I had to feed - didn’t I! It was OK because I had a nice 45 minutes catching five more Skimmers, one Chub and one F1. No one had caught that I could see. The sun then put in a very long appearance I subsequently struggled. I tied the banana walk down to Geoff who was struggling with one tiny Roach. I wish I had stayed in my peg because I was frozen by the time I got back. It took to thirty minutes to the end before I had my next bite a 1lb F1. I did miss a bite but for some reason I dropped the pole instead of lifting!!

I weighed a dead 8lb for third overall. I must admit my expectations were better than this.

The match was won by Rob Pass (pictured right collecting his winnings from the affable Andy Price) with 15lb from peg 1. Because pegs 30 and 29 wasn’t in Rob made use of his three pegs fishing various lines. Well done matey.

Full Result:

1. Rob Pass 15-0-0 peg 1
2. Mike Turner 11-0-0 peg 20
3. Mike Nicholls 8-0-0 peg 15


Weigh Sheet:


No comments: