Thursday 9 November 2017

Thursday 09/11/2017 - Harescombe Cost Cutter - Match Lake

Trip up to Harescombe Fishery today to pick up some elastic (pictured right) from matey Stuart Graham this should last out the pensioner! Elastic can be purchased direct from Stuart in 3 metre lengths for £4.50 by visiting: wepolefloats.co.uk

I met up with the usual suspects who informed me that the venue was fishing hard, which usually means a close match. Apparently the Skimmers are on the near side coming on maggot over GB and the far side Carp which haven’t been feeding lately.

A good turn out with 19 fishing – just the right number for the venue I think.

In to the draw bag and out comes peg 18, same peg I had last match, some time back now. Reasonably happy with any peg really. I decided to fish 4mm expander over micro at top-set plus two and maggot on the same 4x12 rig at one section less and a 4x10 margin Speedy again with maggot.

After 30 minutes no bites or indications on the pellet so tried the short line with maggot and caught one 8oz Skimmer and a couple of micro Roach, but was missing loads of bites from them. Tried the margin and had one micro Roach and lost a foul hooked Mirror Carp, going nowhere fast. Adrian Clark opposite on peg 14 was by now catching steady fishing over to the piles with maggot. So time to change and got the full set of tubes out and set up a 4x10 Yoof and after potting some DR’s I caught a 2lb Chub first put in. I then spent a frustrating too many hours foul hooking small Mirror Carp altogether nine landing two plus a couple of F1’s – it was indeed fishing hard. Decided to eat the banana and have a pee and whilst peeing a flock of sheep sneaked up on my and scared the living daylights out of me making me let go of the hose pipe which I didn’t switch off, so a warm feeling was quickly followed by a cold one. I persevered far too long at 13 metres because with 20 minutes to go I switched to the short maggot line where the F1’s were waiting for me. I landed four better ones in the last 15 minutes and didn’t want the match to end; bugger should have gone there earlier.

I finished with a dead 18lb but according to Stuart Graham I should have had another 2oz because the scales man was reading the weights short! This won the section and was Jointish third overall!

The match was won by Adrian Clark (pictured right) with 27lb 2oz from peg 14. Adrian caught Barbel and F1’s at 13 metres over to the piles on double red maggot. Adrian fed nothing all match, which is probably what I should have done when fishing over as I might has had less Foulers – who knows.

I enjoyed the match today even though it was hard – a great venue and a great set of guys.

Full Result:

  1. Adrian Clark 27-02-0 peg 14
  2. Rob Pass 22-04-0 peg 11
  3. Mike Nicholls 18-0-0 peg 18
  4. Stuart Graham 18-0-0 peg 8 - Dubious
  5. Ady Hill 17-02-0 peg 2
  6. Tim Hadland 13-06-0 peg 12
  7. Phil Auger 13-06-0 peg 29
Weigh Sheet:


No comments: