Wednesday 16 September 2015

Wednesday 16/09/2015 - Amalgamation Summer League - Round Seven - Canal

My turn to pick up Two Pots I even got his enormous tractor wheel and metal North Sea platform in the car. First stop Hill Tops café, where two Jumbos were devoured.

We arrived in plenty of time to have a wonder round. The Sedges open was down a couple of anglers no doubt put off by the BBC weather –The BBC has sacked the Met Office – I think the BBC are the one’s that should be sacked from forecasting weather. We could have been in for some right down pours luckily for us they got it wrong again. That said apparently over the previous few days Sedges have had plenty of rain with all three Lakes now brimming.

In to the draw letter box and out comes peg 59 which is just about on the causeway between Tile and Brick Lakes so I could fish longish without unshipping.

I set up a 4x10 Drennan Chop for the far side tight in which was just over 11.5 metres so fished the 13 metre section for the first time. The same rig sufficed for both margins at 30 inches. The second rig was a 4x14 Jolly, heavier than usual  as the peg was deeper than previous pegs – indications that I am gradually moving to the near end where all the fish appear to be and is the deepest part of the Canal (for me still to confirm).

Two Pots drew the match end peg 54 and had a moan because he wasn’t on flyer peg 64 again!!

John Barker came down for a chat and thought 7 to 10 lb would win the Silvers as the Canal has been difficult over the past week or so.

I fed the far side with a few casters and then went in at 5 metres with the jolly with 4mm semi-hards on the hook over micro. This approach usually produces a few decent Skimmers, alas today it only gave up five tiny Skimmers to 3oz. John’s predictions I feared would materialise.

Probably too early but I panicked over to the far bank with double caster and foul hooked two decent Carp. I then had a menagerie of Silvers – Crucian, Skimmers, Ronnie’s and Perch. I decided to try worm hook bait which resulted in me foul hooking three decent Skimmers, not landing any of them – bugger – a sign that the fish weren’t feeding properly. The swim died and had a head fit and mixed up some GB mixed with worm, micro and casters I potted this in to the far bank swim – end of swim and after a dower period of no bites wasn’t fished again. I had been feeding a mix of micro and casters down both margins. The RH margin produced nothing, whilst the LH margin accounted for four more foul hooked Carp a 1 ½ Perch and a few more Skimmers and Ronnie’s all on single or double caster. I switched to semi hard 4’s and landed a decent Skimmer and three Common Carp which fought well above their 3lb weight.

My Silvers weighed 10lb 12oz for first in the Silvers and when they added my Carp weight of 11lb 8oz this gave me a second in the match weight of 22lb 4oz


The match was won by Glenn Bailey who had slimmed down to one pot today (pictured above centre with the Silvers winner) with 26lb 4oz consisting of mainly 7 Carp, Glenn caught on hard pellet with only one fish caught on paste!

John was right the venue fished very hard today with the flyer pegs not producing.

Packing up in the rain my breath was compensating for the first time since last winter.

Full Result:

  1. Glenn Bailey 26-04-0 peg 54
  2. Mike Nicholls 22-04-0 peg 59
  3. Dave Bacon 20-06-0 peg 43
  4. Alan Jones 19-03-0 peg 51
  5. John Barker 12-11-0 peg 62
  6. Dave Poole 11-07-0 peg 63
Top Silvers:

  1. Mike Nicholls 10-12-0 peg 59
  2. Alan Jones 8-10-0 peg 51
Weigh Sheets:























Overall League before today's match:




No comments: