Thursday 3 September 2015

Thursday 03/09/2015 - Tony Rixon's Cost Cutter - Avalon Fishery - Match Lake

The temperature was above dew point this morning so the car windows were dry. On my own again, this time stopped in Shipham café and dined with Tony Rixon.

We were on the west side today pegs 1 to 23. The top end has won most of the coin this term so anywhere up there would do. In to the draw bag and out comes peg 3 – Umm. Down to the Right the peg has Sedges which are far out in to the lake. The other side not so bad so I choose this side for my margin swim but it needed some clearing of the over hanging Sedges, in doing so I disturbed a number of insects some yet to be named!

Because of the treacherous nature of the Bankside I settled on the Drennan margin pole. The Match Lake is almost the same depth from bank to bank and fairly flat even the margins are only a few inches shallower mainly due to the Sedges which grow up from 4-5 foot.

I had already decided I would have a Carpy-Pastey day, so I set up just the two rigs a 0.4 gram for the margin and a 0.5 gram float to be fished at 5 metres at 2 o clock. I thought I would try and keep the feed down on the long line to see if I could catch fish without any fizz. The upshot of this was:-

No fizz no bites – fizz no fish – its Fizzalogical!!

The above sums up my day I fished both lines through out the day and even though I fished the margin pole and heavy 22 elastic to 0.22 line the small 4-5 lb Common Carp still unhooked me in the Sedges leaving me playing stalks leading to the obvious out come – tears for me. I lost too many of these blighters from both swims even though I thought I had played them out well away from the Sedges.
 
It wasn’t until the last 30 minutes that I started to catch better from the long line unfortunately all too late.

Looking at my weights I now think I should have fished for Silvers which was confirmed by fishery owner Vic Bush when he came by to weigh in – bugger. I will know next time - perhaps.

I did manage 22lb 8oz of accidental Skimmer/Hybrids and one beautiful 1 ½ lb Crucian and 12 small aggressive Carp for a total of 68lb. If I had got all my fish out I think I might have still been 5th!!

The match was won by Tony Rixon (pictured upper right with some of his catch) with 110lb 5oz from lonesome end peg 23. Tony caught on hard pellet (I didn’t have to ask) – see his Blog for all the gruesome details.

The Silver was won by Nigel Bartlett (pictured right with his catch of shiny things) with 33lb 5oz from peg 19. Nigel initially caught 10 Skimmers long on maggot or caster over GB. He later switched to caster on his top-set adding 170 Ronnie’s.

Full Result:

  1. Tony Rixon 110-05-0 peg 23
  2. Mike West 108-0-0 peg 20
  3. Rich Coles 92-09-0 peg 17
  4. Adrian Jeffery 82-08-0 peg 13
  5. Mike Nicholls 68-0-0 peg 3
  6. Ray White 36-08-0 peg 7
Top Silvers:

  1. Nigel Bartlett 33-05-0 peg 19
  2. Rich Coles 28-09-0 peg 3
  3. Pete Rabbats 28-0-0 peg 16
Weigh Sheet:


No comments: