Wednesday 21 May 2014

Wednesday 21/05/2014 - Avon Angling - Pole Only Open - Viaduct Fishery - Campbell

Another beautiful day in the sunshine, tee shirts and shorts weather. It all started at Cannards Well for Glenn and me where we had a leisurely breakfast and finishing up a great day out in Winston’s Fish bar in Shepton on the way home where we played guess who was Mrs Thick. Excellent battered fish and the Carlsberg was probably the coldest ever, which helped with the aches and pains.

Glenn and I had a part walk around the fishery and reminisced about the match where I was on peg 121 and Glenn on peg 135. And today it was swim reversal with Glenn on peg 121 and me on 135. We were both happy with these draws.

I was especially happy as the wind was blowing in to the peg albeit it being very light. However, there was a down side to this, the wind was building the water surface scum in the margins. There was also plenty of Carp on the surface for the Muggers (sorry Stalkers).

Two rigs a 0.15 gram Silverfox PC paste float for each side margin and a 0.3 gram paste float for 5 metres at 12 o clock.

As I said the scum was building in the margins and after a few attempts and wasting ¼ pint of hard 4’s I had to abandon the margins as the scum was firstly holding up the paste then the float!! My entire match was therefore fished at 5 metres.

I started with paste fed inside the kinder cup with some hard 4’s and as expected I had a Carp first try. Next try another. Then I lost a foul hooked fish.  “No Nuts” Rixon was on peg 130 and started catching by “Stalking” which I thought would only last a few fish. The upshot was that for the next three hours I added only two more Carp whilst “No Nuts” carried on catching throughout this period – all against the odds. Luckily I did have a better fifth and sixth hour adding another 14 Carp, two Tench and a Skimmer.

My Silvers weighed 5lb 8oz and my Carp 115lb 9oz for a total of 121lb 1oz. for a marginal third place.

As expected “No Nuts” (pictured right with some of his catch of Common Carp) easily won the match with 188lb 3oz from unfancied peg 131. He caught Stalking…see his blog for all the gruesome details.
 
The Silvers was won by John Bradford the tidy partner of Avon Angling (pictured lower right). John caught Tench and Skimmers primarily in his RH margin using caster and worm.

Full Result:

  1. Tony (No Nuts) Rixon 188-03-0 peg 130
  2. Dan White 158-09-0 peg 112
  3. Mike Nicholls 121-01-0 peg 135
  4. Paul Attwood 120-15-0 peg 132
  5. Tom Thick 112-05-0 peg 115
  6. Steve Kedge 106-09-0 peg 119
  7. Glenn Bailey 96-07-0 peg 121
Top Silvers:

  1. John Bradford 35-02-0 peg 111
  2. Steve Kedge 25-08-0 peg 119
Weigh Sheet:


2 comments:

tony rixon,s days out said...

You sound bitter and twisted to me, I did get some stalking , but had more fishing properly catching in the loose feed at 14 mtrs, on peg 130, I find it just as hard to watch people float ledgering with balls of solvite sat on the bottom lol

Silverfox Match Angling said...

Well it we are going to put "Spin" on it, I didn't fish balls of solvite but 20 mm soft pellet!!