Monday 19 May 2014

Sunday 19/05/2014 - AA Float Only League - Round One - Viaduct - Campbell and Carey

A later start meant more traffic and not getting home until 20:00. Breakfast was in Cannards Well where it was buffet style and at £7.50 it was great value as Bela had at least £20 worth!!

A very warm May Day greeted us which has got the Carp thinking about multiplying.

In to the draw tin and out comes peg 102 AGAIN! I was on this peg in last weeks match and the match before 103. Unlike the river (Boys Hole, Arm Chair, Sugar Hole, etc…) commercial pegs don't usually take on a name rather than a peg number. We do have the Monk, Pretty Bush and Spit. Well we now have “The Step”. Peg 102 has a huge step down to the platform and at the end of the match it felt like I had been to aerobics’ classes!!

The important thing in fishing the same peg consecutively is it to try and take some learning in to the next match. However, in this league Silvers on their own is not going to win many section points or wonga especially on this venue.

So I was hoping to catch Carp at 5 metres early then double up the weight in the margins later. So two paste rigs 0.4 gram Silverfox PC’s and a Ronnie rig in case! My eggs were almost in one basket as I only had paste and caster hook baits.

On the start I fed a big pot mix of dry micro and caster 3 metres down the edge. Starting at 5 metres with paste over kindered hard 4’s it didn’t take long to catch my first Carp I quickly followed this up with a fouler which really gets the nerves twitching as you don’t know what’s going to break, luckily in this case the 0.18 hook length broke. That was it for some time as I was getting pestered by small Skimmers, when this happens you know the Carp aren’t there. So I tried the paste down the edge and found the same nibblers there as well. So I went on the Ronnie rig and started to catch 4 – 8 once Perch. Whist Ronnie-ing I kept hand feeding (definite advantage of fishing short) 4’s over the paste line until I saw a sensible blow then I would go over with paste and either  would catch a Carp or the Nibbling would frustrate. And that’s how my match went in and out picking off the odd Carp whilst adding Some Silvers.

On this venue you don’t ever give up as even I can catch 100lb in the last half hour. However, unlike last match I didn’t have any Carp from the margin which was my banker for the last hour or so. Interesting enough my Silvers weigh was 3lb more than last match and I fell one Carp short weighing five for 48lb and with my 15lb 2oz of Silvers gave my a section third total weight of 63lb 2oz. The Silvers making a difference.

Glenn Bailey did well winning our section with 130lb from peg 99.

Steve Long said that the Carey Diagonal bank hasn’t been fishing well foe some time. That said you still need a low ton for section wins, which is enough for me.

The match was won by Tony Rixon (pictured right with the Silvers winner – not identical twins) with 187lb from peg 88. Tony caught… see his blog.

The Silvers was won by Scott Russell with 46lb 10oz from peg 94. Scott caught Skimmers on hard 6’s fished a depth fished over pinged 4’s caught accidentally whilst fishing for Carp.

As Scott was in Bela's section he picked up the section by default.

off the Viaduct again on Wednesday but can't draw 102 again as the match is on Campbell only - can I?

Full Result:

  1. Tony Rixon 187-0-0 peg 88
  2. Joe McMahon 167-05-0 peg 85
  3. Gary O’Shea 151-07-0 peg 128
  4. Craig Edmonds 146-08-0 peg 79
  5. Steve Segar 138-07-0 peg 118
  6. Bob Gullick 137-09-0 peg 129
Accidental Silvers:

  1. Scott Russell 46-10-0 peg 94
  2. Tim Clarke 43-06-0 peg 123
Weigh Sheets:




No comments: