Wednesday 14 May 2014

Wednesday 14/05/2014 - Avon Angling Open - Landsend Fishery - Match and Sidney's Lakes

With very few open matches on this week I thought I would reacquaint my self with The Shipham CafĂ© and Landsend Fishery. It didn’t start too good as the breakfast prices had gone up the start of this week. The breakfast was OK though and still cheap by any standard.

Even though it’s a late 10 o clock draw I have the choice whether as to leave to make it just in time due to the school runs I encounter or go early and have a leisurely drive. I left at 07:10 and took my time.

Arriving at the fishery and having dipped my sun dried nets I had a walk around the match Lake to see plenty of submarines with their periscopes up – A mugger day me thinks. As there was enough anglers to put some pegs on Sidney’s Lake Ron Hardiman and I went to check which pegs were available. So a walk around the Lake and there was no Carp visible up in the water. Five pleasure anglers on the near side so we could have the far bank pegs 41 to 55, my preferred pegs today.

Back to the car and I realised I had left my Boss wheels home so a near draw – like peg 1 would be very welcome. In to the draw box and out comes peg 41. Mike Duckett kindly lent me a small wheel barrow (pictured right - not recommended) which meant two trips up to Sidney’s. Luckily that kind angler John Thompson helped me back with some of my gear; however, I had 7 trips today! Good job I’m a Pensioner!!

That said I was well pleased with the peg, once I settled in and got my breath back. This is an excellent Silvers peg F1’s, Crucian’s and Skimmers. All my target.

A fair bit of depth this end on the Lake which required a 4x14 Jolly which I intended to fish at 6 metres. I backed this up with a 0.4 gram Silverfox PC paste float for the same line and a 0.3 paste float for the LH margin.

I started on the semi hard 4’s on the hook over micro with a dash of hard 4’s and had four small Crucian’s and an F1. Just as I was thinking I was going to have a good Silvers day the positive bites stopped and I was pestered by 2oz Skimmers that wouldn’t take the pellet properly. I persisted with this until the 1 ½ hour mark and decided to switch to the margin on my Sensas long top set with paste over kindered hard 4’s. For the next 4 ½ hours I caught Carp steady until the end needing three nets for my 31 Carp.

My Silvers weighed 7lb and my Carp 155lb 13oz for a match winner total of 162lb 13oz.


The Silvers was won by fellow Coffin Dodger Martin Alexander (pictured above with the match winner) with 21lb 8oz from peg 17. Martin fished short initially with maggot catch Perch and on and off switching to banded hard 8’ pellet fished over 8’s which landed him five decent Skimmers. Well done matey fish and chips tonight!!

Full Result:

  1. Mike Nicholls 162-13-0 peg 41
  2. Tony Rixon 131-04-0 peg 24
  3. Tom Thick 112-12-0 peg 51
  4. Ron Hardiman 91-08-0 peg 22
  5. Mash 89-14-0 peg 15
  6. Andy Hembrow 86-01-0 peg 45
Top Silvers:

  1. Martin Alexander 21-08-0 peg 17
  2. Paul Attwood 20-11-0 peg 11
Weigh Sheets:





















No comments: