Thursday 9 January 2014

Thursday 09/01/2014 - Bathampton AA/Veals Silvers Championship - Round One - Bridge Pool


First match for me of 2014 and first match in the series of the Bathampton AA/Veals Silvers Championship. A couple of changes from last year, firstly there are four sections of 7 anglers compared with 4 sections of 6 last year, an improvement me thinks. Secondly we are fishing all the matches on Bridge Pool leaving out Withy Pool entirely – a mistake me thinks.

It’s important to get the league off to a good start so when I drew peg 29 I had mixed feelings because pegs 24 (Barry Fitchew), 25 (Dave Wride) and 26 (Ray Bazeley) were in my section and all had the potential to beat me. With Paul Dicks on end section peg 30, it made it one of the hardest sections.

After all the rain we have had over recent days I was expecting the water to have a tinge of red. I was therefore surprised to find it was really clear. The Pool had obviously had a complete water change. I therefore wondered why the aerator was running.

It was a similar choice of float – 4x16 Jolly to be fished at 10 metres, in anticipation of the wind picking up which was blowing in at me at 10 o clock. This was a good choice as presentation even at this short length became difficult. I also set up a 4x12 jolly to be fished at 5 metres in case the wind got impossible. I only tried this line twice with caster over caster and didn’t get a bite so no more on this one.

I fed the 10 metres line at 12 o clock with my Skimmer GB laced with a few Pinkies and a pot of caster and Hemp seed at 3 o clock (I didn’t get a bite over this line even though I tried most bait combo’s). So Starting over the GB with double Pinkie I had a flying start catching Skimmer from 4oz to 1lb 8oz for the first 1 ½ hours. I then hit a wall and struggled for the remaining 3 ½ hours catching the odd Skimmer. I tried loose feeding for the Ronnie’s and could only muster two small versions. In the last 10 minutes I landed two 1lb Skimmers bumping one on the whistle.

I weighed 15lb 3oz for first overall and that all important first section win. Paul Dicks thought he had taken a pictured of me with my fish but obviously forgot to press the shutter button!!

Runner up in both the Silvers and accidental Carp was John Smith (pictured with the match winner) with 13lb 7oz from peg 9.

The accidental (not so accidental me thinks) Carp was won by “Gentleman” Dave Bacon with 24lb 8oz from peg 18.

Full Result:

  1. Mike Nicholls 15-03-0 peg 29
  2. John Smith 13-07-0 peg 9
  3. Paul Dicks 7-10-0 peg 30
  4. Rich Coles 6-01-0 peg 21
  5. Barry Fitchew 6-01-0 peg 24
  6. Mike Jones 5-10-0 peg 16
Accidental Carp:

  1. Dave Bacon 24-08-0 peg 18
  2. John Smith 17-08-0 peg 9
Weigh Sheets:





No comments: