Sunday 12 January 2014

Sunday 12/01/2014 - Westerleigh Winter League - Round Three - Both Lakes

I had a text message from Bela at 06:18 explaining that he wasn't well. I did expect this as he wasn't well in the pub yesterday afternoon and was first to leave after just a few pints. So it was lonesome me. I still decided to go for breakfast in the New Inn and after explaining to the waitress that the breakfast can be a bit cold, it subsequently came out piping hot as a few others commented. I enjoyed it. However, it would have slowed Bela down to warp speed.

It was my turn on the Old Lake today and after the dreadful last match on peg 35 the shallowest and worse peg on the New Lake. I was hoping for a reasonable draw. In to the draw box and out comes peg 18. The shallowest and worse peg on the Old Lake! I've now done the pair! Walking to the peg I spotted a dead 1 ½ lb Perch in the margin with a big piece missing from it. (pictured right).

The peg is at the far end and looks up the Lake (as pictured right). With the wind off my back and with fir trees behind me it was well sheltered. The last match the peg had a DNW apparently two small Perch.

The peg was full of branches, a residual from recent storms. I spent a while clearing what I could but it was an impossible task. I set up just the one rig a 4x10 Jolly and after plumbing around found 26 inches at 3 o clock at 11.5 metres and swinging around to 1 o clock and taking 2 inches off the depth I was 0.5 metres off the end of the middle island. Because Perch appeared to be the target I fed four chopped worms to the island and a few pinkies on the 3-o-clock swim. After 3 ½ bite less hours I decided to go positive and feed some micro and dead maggot in to both swims and have a walk down to matey Bill Ferris who was also struggling
and where Bob Price on opposite peg 10 was “bagging” on small Skimmers (pictured right). I stayed a while to watch a few bites.

At 14: 00 I returned to my peg and first put in I had my first bite a small Ronnie. I then had a run of 8 more and one Perch. Having broken the blank I fed a lot more micro and maggot over to the island swim. The swim went quite for the Ronnie’s but I did have something blowing over the micro. Although I tried all sorts of baits to catch it, it wasn’t to be.

 My ten fished weighed 12oz for last but one (again). My stomach started to ache and I wasn’t sure it was by association or factual. Luckily so far I am OK.

The match was won by Ryan Shipp (pictured right with his three Carp) from peg 8 with 20lb 10oz. Ryan’s weight included a near 10 lb Common. Ryan caught down his LH end margin using maggot over maggot.

The Silvers as expected was won by Bob “The Silvers” Price (pictured lower right with his Skimmer catch) with 8lb 4oz of tiny Skimmers to 4oz. Bob caught on pinkie over GB at 9 meters.

Full Result:

  1. Ryan Shipp 20-10-0 peg 8
  2. Darren North 11-13-0 peg 14
  3. Bob Price 11-01-0 peg 10
  4. Steve Rogers 9-08-0 peg 5
  5. Vince Shipp 6-11-0 peg 6
  6. Ron Hardiman 5-07-0 peg 21
 Top Silvers:

  1. Bob Price 8-04-0 peg 10
  2. Steve Rogers 2-05-0 peg 5
 Weigh Sheet:


2 comments:

Tim Ford said...

You must be looking forward to the next match here!

Silverfox Match Angling said...

I am but not drawing pegs 35 and 18 again, which has the same probability every match.