Sunday 19 January 2014

Sunday 19/01/2014 - Viaduct Winter League - Round One - Campbell, Carey, Lodge, Match and Spring Lakes

After a great buffet breakfast in the Globe Pub (The best bacon I've had for some time) it was time for captain Bakos to draw for out new 2014 team. I thought the boy did well drawing some good pegs as per team sheet pictured right. Unfortunately, most were good Silvers pegs and the bright sunny conditions weren’t conducive for them.

I was drawn of peg 50 on Match Lake. Not bad and with the flat calm conditions I thought the waggler would do the damage over close the island. After setting this up I set up the Normark number one feeder, again over close to the island. I finished off with a 4x12 jolly to be fished at 13 metres with various baits over Pinkie and GB.

After feeding some GB laced with Pinkie at 13 metres I started on the waggler with single white maggot over loose fed caster and started to catch 1 – 2oz Ronnie’s one a bung. This was disappointing as I was expecting F1’s. But this told me they weren't feeding. After 30 minutes of this I tried the pole and once again I was pestered by Ronnie’s, even on double caster.

So out went the maggot feeder and after losing a foul hooked F1 I hooked and landed a 2lb F1 followed quickly two small Carp. Just as I was thinking I got it right I hooked another Carp which went along the far bank snagging me on the far bank, all I had was a willow branch. That was it I impatiently sat on the feeder for 30 minutes bite less. To stop the boredom I set up a 4 metre whip and with single caster over caster I caught small Ronnie’s steady until an hour to go and went out in the straight lead over the feeder line and had another 2lb F1. That signaled the end of my match.

My Silvers weighed 3lb 8oz and my Carp 12lb 10oz for a total of 16lb 1oz for a meager 8 points. I don’t think anyone caught over the island on Match Lake with most fish coming from the end margins.

The match and my section was won by Nick Ewers (pictured right with some of his catch) with 158lb 7oz from Spring Lake peg 5. Nick caught on the straight out to the island (not particularly tight either) with tripled 10 mm punched bead hair rigged.

The Silvers was won by Nick Chedzoy (pictured lower right with the match winner) with 23lb 10oz from in form peg 38 on Middle Lake. Nick caught on maggot over Thatcher’s Gold and Lake mix GB.

The man of the match had to be Alan Oram (pictured lower right) who drew un-fancied peg 82 on Carey landing a 25lb 6oz Common Carp on the pole from under the left hand tree, helping him to a total to 44lb – well done matey, nice fish.

Full Result:

  1. Nick Ewers 158-07-0 peg 5
  2. James Knight 96-01-0 peg 102
  3. Luke Sorokin 88-05-0 peg 66
  4. Pete Bailey 88-08-0 peg 85
  5. Andy Power 87-06-0 peg  16
  6. Steve Tucker 85-14-0 peg 77
Top Silvers:

  1. Nick Chedzoy 23-10-0 peg 38
  2. Gary O’Shea 18-0-0 peg 105
  3. Des Shipp 17-08-0 peg 88
Weigh Sheets:






No comments: