Sunday 26 January 2014

Sunday 26/01/2014 - Westerleigh Winter League - Round Four - Both Lakes

The weather was forecast to be bloody awful which resulted in a few non attendees. But as now seems common practice the BBC present a very pessimistic outlook with the effect of putting people off of going out. It’s about time they tried being more realistic/optimistic. Subsequently, we had a few non attendees. The only thing for me is why they don’t ring the organiser so we aren’t waiting around in hope they will arrive!

There was some pressure put on Bryan Shanks to take out pegs 35 and 18. However, Brian stuck by his guns and left them in. I wish other league organiser would also follow Bryan’s stance as it’s not fair on anglers who have previously drawn these pegs.

After a good breakfast and a delay to the draw I suddenly found I had “drawitus” I was last to the plastic container but couldn’t put my hand in. Shanksey offered to draw for me, but in I went and out came peg 27. Yippee!

Peg 27 is a far end peg on the right hand side of the Canal and probably one of deepest. I was happy with this peg, especially as I had the wind off my back.

It was about this point that the league leader Phil “Fabio” Harding slipped on the only wooden pallet on the and went in the Old Lake from peg 11. Phil also had his seat box go in. I must say this would have been hilarious in the summer, but not today as the water temperature must have been 4 degrees. It wasn’t the day to go in, but Phil tried to fish on but the weather got to him. I hope you have recovered matey – a match to drop!!

I set up two 4 x 12 Jolly’s one to fish over and down the edge to the tree and the other to fish comfortably at 7 metres.

Because lately I have had some difficult draws having to wait an age to get any body movement I decided to purchased a “Boredom Bar” from Avon Angling. However, because I decided to fish down the peg to the right I didn’t set it up.

I fed the 7 metre line at 2 o clock with some Pinkie and the margin and far bank with some micro and dead reds. I started on the 7 metre line with a single dead red on the hook and during swinging out I hooked a bush to my left and lost the hook. So after resetting up I went out again and had a ½ oz Ronnie. It then went quiet!! So I tried the inside line with any indication followed the far bank with again with a single dead red. I did have two micro Perch and one Ronnie. Although I kept trying these lines I didn’t get any further action.

I decided to mix up a bit of GB and fed some slop over the 7 metre line with just a smidgen of Pinkie with fluro Pinkie on the hook and for the rest of the match I caught 35 Ronnie’s for a grand total of 1lb 10oz! This give me the lake Silvers thanks to Bela who managed 3lb 2oz of mainly Perch from peg 30 fishing similarly, which put him Lake second, so a double bubble van pick up which ended up behind the bar of the new Inn!!

I was asked to mention that my peg 35 record of 7oz was battered today by Vince Shipp who weighed a “big” 8oz. Well done matey all you need to do now is beat my peg 18 record!

The match and the Canal Lake was won by Ryan Shipp (pictured right with the Silvers winner) with an amazing 14lb 8oz from peg 24. Ryan caught four small F1’s and a couple of Carp on either Pinkie or red maggot over kindered potted Pinkie with a dusting of GB fished ½ metres off the far bank.

The Silvers was won by Bryan Shanks with 10lb 2oz from peg 2, 3 and 4. Bryan caught on soft pellet fished over GB and micro. Bryan’s catch comprised on mainly Crucian Carp.

It was back to the New Inn for the results where we had a right laugh, with Bryan doing some great impressions.

Full Result:

  1. Ryan Shipp 14-08-0 peg 24
  2. Bryan Shanks 10-02-0 peg 3
  3. Simon Belcham 6-06-0 peg 10
  4. Clive Feddery 5-10-0 peg 13
  5. Ron Hardiman 3-08-0 peg 8
  6. Bela Bakos 3-02-0 peg 30
Top Silvers:

  1. Brian Shanks 10-02-0 peg 3
  2. Simon Belcham 6-06-0 peg 10
Weigh Sheets:


No comments: