Thursday 5 December 2013

Thursday 05/12/2013 - Bathampton AA - Over 55's and Disabled - Bridge Pool

I had phone call from Bob Warren at 7am he was unwell so was unable to come fishing today – get well soon matey.
 
The attendance is still holding up with 24 in attendance. Mike Jones decided to have 25 pegs in the draw rather than take one out – I suggested he take peg 33 out of the draw as this end of the Pool has been fishing hard for Silvers for many months as previous weigh sheets testify. And as a result a good peg gets left in the bag, this time peg 26 and I draw the peg I wanted out peg 33! I let Mike Jones know my feelings in this respect, it was a bit of a Martin Alexander moment!! However, I was pacified when Mike Jones drew peg 1 so he was in for a bad day on the Silvers also.
 
I hate fishing in the wind which was really strong blowing in from the west and gusting to gale force, blowing plenty of leaves my way. All the anglers were batten down (pictured right) as the wind was only going to get worse through the day. I set up a 4x16 Jolly to be fished at 7 metres and a 4x12 Jolly to be fished down the LH margin where there was some cover form the Bankside vegetation.
 
On the whistle I fed a small ball of GB laced with Pinkie at 7 metres at 12 o clock, followed by a few casters down the LH margin at 4 metres. Starting over the GB with double Pinkie I had a small Ronnie which was blown off by the wind, followed by another ½ oz fish. I then had a bite (a liner) and when I struck I foul hooked a Carp at half depth which soon came off. After 15 minutes without any indication I thought I would try the margin for some Ronnie’s and first put in I had a 4oz Ronnie. It then went quite followed by an hour of Carp action foul hooking four Carp and landing five. However, whilst playing the fifth carp the lone Swan came over my margin and did an upside downer. Unfortunately I couldn’t both play the Carp and chase the Swan out, which Mike Jones found this hilarious. This totally killed my margin swim and although I tried another swim further along all I had was two small Perch and another 4oz Ronnie. Angler should stop feeding this swan as it is becoming a bloody nuisance.
 
My Silvers weighed 8oz and my five Carp 36lb 9oz for a total of 37lb 1oz for first overall on the day.
 
The Silvers was won by John Smith (pictured right with the match winner) with 13lb 9oz from peg 15. John caught on double Pinkie hook bait over GB laced with Pinkie at 10 metres.
 
Full Result:
 
  1. Mike Nicholls 37-01-0 peg 33
  2. Paul Dicks 28-06-0 peg 18
  3. John Smith 21-0-0 peg 15
  4. Pete Greenslade 20-04-0 peg 11
  5. Rich Coles 16-05-0 peg 7
  6. John Fry 12-10-0 peg 21
Top Silvers:
 
  1. John Smith 13-09-0 peg 15
  2. Paul Dicks 8-04-0 peg 18
  3. Rich Coles 6-14-0 peg 7
Weigh Sheets:
 
 
 

6 comments:

Mike Jones said...

Not enough humble pie, extra helpings please.
I think that you and Martin Alexander should be locked in a dark room together.

Silverfox Match Angling said...

The cupboard is full. How did you get on down this end of the Pool?

Mike Jones said...

Didn't catch much, was distracted by the antics of your pet swan upended over your carefully laid bed of casters, while you were taking for ever playing a carp and trying to shoo it away at the same time.
Still makes me giggle 24 hours later.

Silverfox Match Angling said...

I am still laughing at the Donkey (or was a horse)that scared you away and eat your GB in bath in 1974!! You are probably to old now to remember this and by next week you will have forgotten this match - hopefully!!

Mike Jones said...

Can't resist answering this one.
You have the bare bones of a true story. I will begin.
During the foot & mouth outbreak in the early seventies all fishing on agricultural land was stopped, all club waters were closed. After several weeks of no fishing a small group of us discovered that the donkey field at Rotork was a public footpath and could be fished.
The following Saturday a small group of us met to have a sweepstake.
The match started and for a while we were all catching quite well when the resident very large cart horse came along and started to eat my groundbait, casters, food and all the grass around me, and being a wimp I didn't argue with a horse the size of a steam train. he then moved up to Malcolm Murfet who was in the next peg and did exactly the same.
Next peg was the late Mike Roussell, now Mike who was not known for being over generous,patted the horse on the nose and said f**k off Dobbin.
Dobbin did not like this and as a wise old carthorse knew exactly what Mike was saying. In a flash Dobbin put his head in the small of Mikes back, flicked his head and Mike was in under the water in the river. Now Mike was 17 stones and flew into the water like a rag doll. After much mirth we dragged Mike out of the river, Dobbin had a good s**t in his peg and wandered off. True story.

Silverfox Match Angling said...

You just can't make this stuff up.