Wednesday 18 December 2013

Float Depth Marking

I often see anglers with their top-sets peppered with white marker pen (tippex/correction fluid) which is used to mark the float depth they have decided on. Looking at the size of the blobs accuracy must sometimes be in question, also in some cases I wonder how they recognise which blob to use. When I used this method some years ago now , I would scrape the marks off after every match, which incidentally doesn't always all come off. For someone (me for example) who strives for accuracy I found this inadequate for a number of reasons.

So with the ever increasing need on Commercial fisheries to utilise different lines ("throw aways", etc...) using the same rig has become desirable. So to quickly and accurately adjust the float the few inches necessary. It is also essential and to ensure that the depth is maintained accurately throughout the match. So I now use a black waterproof marker felt tip pen on my G-Line which is translucent in colour (as is many high tech lines) hence the black is easily to see.

I first find the deepest swim and mark the depth at the top of the float (mostly in my case the top of the rubber on my Jolly). I then find the shallowest swim and mark the bottom of the float and any depth between these settings (see pictures right)

Sometimes after playing Carp (especially if they have gone round the pallet a couple of times and along the inside and far banks) the float can move and by quick visual checks you can maintain the same depth. Plus, if you need to shorten (or lengthen) the line between the float and top-set the same depth markers are still valid, negating the need to re-plumb. I often how re-plumbing affects feeding fish.

I occasionally find that when I thrash around for long periods using the waggler the stop shot and/or float stop can move, so I have also adopted this marking on my waggler. The black works well on Maxima. I only mark the top because the float usually goes down due to the casting forces. Nonetheless, I can see which ever way it moves.

Best of all the marker can easily be removed and the rig reused, providing it's not been gradually wrecked through the match!

If you lose a rig then a complete restart is necessary.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

good tip that thanks

luke smith said...

This a great tip i used to use cable ties and use the excess as a hook to keep paste baits out of the water on commercial carp fishery's. You are right its not very accurate and eventually damages your top sections. Love this tip im taking it thankyou and keep up the good work.