Wednesday 13 October 2010

Wednesday 13/10/2010 - Carps AC - Cider Farm - Yarlington Mill

I stopped in Budgens at Churchill for a breakfast baguette and a quick read of the Daily Mail – its great news that they have got some of the Chilean Miners out and it’s all go for all 33 being out by time I wake up tomorrow.

I hear from Mark Gibson that John Dursley was disqualified Sunday for having two nets over the 70lb limit. Apparently John has taken umbrage. Come on John, Mark (bless him) explains the rules before every draw. Why didn’t you use the two nets beside you on the bank? In any case I expect to see you back their next season.

It was a good turn out with 18 fishing, so the match was moved from Dabinett to Yarlington Mill. I drew peg 41 – another bloody Carp peg. However, I decided to keep my options open this time. I set up all the usual Silvers rigs plus a paste rig (not used – Darve Vader will be pleased) and a Drennan wire stem 4x10 chop for corn in the margin. I started at 7 metres with a 4x16 jolly with double dead red maggot fished over a 125ml pot of the same and had a 12oz Skimmer first put in. It then deteriorated from here to 2oz Skimmers with the odd Ronnie and was very slow. I decide to put in a bit of micro and switch to 3mm expander – nothing - but impatients. I switched to corn and had four Carp to 3lb. Not what I was after. I decided to go for an early banana walk; I was bloody cold – coldest since last winter. The most Carp was Nick Collier with twelve; however, it was apparent that the Silvers were not responding. Because the fishing was slow I decided that if I switched to a Carp attack I wouldn’t catch up. So the best option for coin was to stick with the Silvers. So I switched to the margin with single maggot sparingly loose feeding the same. All I could catch was 1oz fish and if I over done the feed (by feeding twice) I would snare another Carp. With my bed now made I stuck with these tiny fish to the end. I did muster 16 carp in the process which weighed in at 32lb and my Silvers went 6lb 4oz for a total of 36lb 4oz. This got me in the Silvers coin, but only by 1oz!

The match was won by Nick Collier (pictured right with some of his catch) with 91lb 10oz from peg 40. Nick caught the majority of his fish down the far shelf using corn hook bait over kinder potted 4’s. Nick fed about three pints throughout the match.

The Silvers was won by Steve Dawson from peg 54 with 11lb 11oz. Steve caught mostly Skimmers fishing 3 mm expander fished over the same feed at 7 metres. It was good to see Nick back out fishing again after a short rest - we can't afford to lose good anglers like Nick from the circuit - especially as he gives me his left over casters!!

Full Result:

1. Nick Collier 91-10-0 peg 40
2. Matt Tomes 75-01-0 peg 25
3. Anton Page 67-09-0 peg 32
4. Andy Gard 57-06-0 peg 14
5. Paul Lock 50-14-0 peg 36
6. John Bennett 45-0-0 peg 19

It was 1,2 and 3 for the Landsend brigade.

Top Silvers:

1. Steve Dawson 11-11-0 peg 54
2. Mike Nicholls 6-04-0 peg 41
3. Steve Jefferies 6-03-0 peg 28

No comments: