Sunday 17 October 2010

Sunday 17/10/2010 - Carps AC Autumn Silvers League - Viaduct Fishery - Round Three

With Bela away down at Stafford Moor it was breakfast at home and a lonely drive down to Viaduct. It was also the first real frost of the season with the temperature falling to zero in the dips on the way down. It also promised to be a cloud free day, with no wind. This added to the fishery having its £1,000 Silvers final fish off the day before all promised a difficult day. This led my thinking to fishing the waggler at 25 metres with double dead red over loose fed caster.

I drew peg 99, which is a reasonable Skimmer peg. I discovered that Rip Off was on the peg the day before and fished 16 metres. I was guessing, but I assumed he put plenty of feed in. So the waggler was definitely on the cards. So this was the thing I first set up. With little to no wind it was just on the threshold to feed 25 metres. I also set up two Ronnie rigs as I knew Rip Off wouldn’t have pestered this species. I then set the usual 4x14 Jolly to be fish at the full Monty, so out came 13 meters of pole – still looks new! I started by feeding half a cup of casters with a small ball of GB at 13 metres. I commenced feeding the Ronnie and waggler lines with casters. I decided to go for the Ronnie and soon discovered that they weren’t coming out to play today. So before picking up the waggler I had a quick look over the GB at 13 metres and had a 3oz Skimmer on dead red - then nothing. I was itching to have a go on the wag so out it went and I must say the presentation wasn’t half bad. The problem was the feeding, I couldn’t group the loose feed tight enough for my liking, and in fact I felt I was spraying the casters all over. I did have a couple of small Skimmers on double dead red in addition to loosing a couple. Steve Jackson on next peg 100 was also fishing the waggler and wasn’t really catching on it either at this stage. So with a good hour on it I gave it up. I came back over the GB line and because the sun had moved behind the LH Willow the swim was now shaded and I couldn’t see any float colour I tried. So Looking around I could see Simon Jones and Mark Boomsgrove catching and they were surely using CW&C. So I opened up another 13 metres swim in a light channel where I could see a black topped float by kinder potting in some dead reds, caster and a bit of CW. I soon had a 2lb Skimmers followed by a couple of small ones 12oz to 1lb. After each fish I would kinder top up with the same mix. I then had a Tench and a 3lb Skimmer. I then decided to up the feed which resulted in three foul hook Carp which luckily didn’t hang around long, the last one breaking me, so I took this opportunity to scale down to a 0.12 hook length. I then foul hooked a 3lb Skimmer which came off at the net – Oh bother. At this stage I think I was winning the section then Jacko hooked a big Perch which probably put us level, he quickly followed this up by landing a foul hooked 3lb Skimmer. With 5 minutes to go I hook a Tench which came off at the net. I knew this would cost me the section and it did Jacko beating me in to second by 1lb 11oz!! I weighed 9lb 7oz for section second and 2 points.


The match was won by Mr Pin-up - Vince Brown (pictured right with runner up Mark Broomsgrove) with 26lb 14oz from Campbell peg 129. Vince caught most of his fish on either a small piece of worm or single caster fished over CW&C fished at 16 metres. Vince fed 1 kilo of worm and 2 pints of caster as I have said before rich he must be rich.


Full Result:

1. Vince Brown 26-11-0 peg 129
2. Mark Broomsgrove 26-04-0 peg 88
3. Steve Long 26-0-0 peg 115
4. Simon Jones 22-02-0 peg 96
5. Nick Collins 17-0-0 peg 112
6. Ian Coyd 16-03-0 peg 94 (not sure about his name)

No comments: