Thursday 14 October 2010

Thursday 14/10/2010 - Bathampton Over 55's - Withy Pool

With most fisheries slowing down due to the change of season I was expecting Withy Pool to fish rock hard. However, I think it fished much better than anticipated under the circumstances. Whatever, I was looking forward to the match as I like fishing this time of year. The weather could only be described as dry, dank and coldish.

It was yet another good turn out with 27 fishing. I was hoping for either pegs 43, 44, 45 and 47. I decided to leave the draw bag to a little later to get away from any of the disabled pegs. I pull out peg 63. Umm, I hadn’t been here before. But I did know it’s a very good winter peg for Carp. After plumbing around it was clear that fishing short wasn’t an option. The margin was 6 inches deep and at 5 metres just a couple of feet. I needed to go out to 11.5 metres to get over the stony bottom and reach the shelf. So the one all round rig it was to be – 4x14 Jolly with 0.14 bottom to a 16 Tubertini 808. This rig would suffice from single maggot, caster, expander pellet (3’s and 6’s) to corn. On the whistle (two minutes early according to the Dodgers) I fed four tangerine sized Gimps Gold and Sensas Magic. I started on double maggot and soon switched to single as the fish I was catching were tiny Ronnie’s and Skimmers (again - why me, why here). It was fishing hard but I could see at least four anglers catching Silvers quicker that me, my speed being hampered by fishing at 11.5 metres. After four hours I held my own but the swim gradually died a death with the fish getting even smaller. The upshot was that the Silvers were no longer an option to coin. So I decided to swap to corn hook bait, kinder cupping in four grains topped up with caster every 3 minutes. With an hour to go I started to get some indications.

At this point Tom Coulson who was diagonally opposite me decided to go for a walk. But what we didn’t know was, Tom had left his pole in his pole roost baited up. The first I saw of it was 11 metres of pole shooting across the lake towards me with a fish on the hook. The call went out for Tom, but by his return the fish and pole was in my swim. The fish then headed for the centre of the Lake and then did a U turn. Steve Jefferies who was on the next peg to Tom decided he would claim savage rights and caught the line and pole on his lead rod (pictured right). Steve’s lead pulled free, by which time Tom had caught it from an empty peg on his lead rod, but it took Colin Golding to pull the pole to the bank with his walking stick (which I had a photo of that one), at this juncture the fish came free. I have heard on anglers leaving baited up feeders before, but this is the first time in my knowledge for it to happen with a pole. Tom you are a twit.

Back to my fishing. The reason I didn’t get a photo of Colin and walking stick was because I had my first bite on the corn and was playing a teenage Common Carp. With that in the net I had another two smaller Carp straight away. So with three in the net I reckoned I needed another three to take the match and with 30 minutes left it was possible. However, I did hook another two Carp straight away but both were foul hooked – bugger - not good. I did hook another with two minutes to go to bring the tally to four. My Silvers weighed in at 4lb 12oz and my four Carp went 36lb 13 for a total of 41lb 9oz. This put me second overall, but only just as Dave Bacon was just 5oz behind in third place.

The match was won by Bob Price (pictured right with his catch) from peg 60 with 58lb 6oz – an all carp catch. Bob amazingly caught his fish on the waggler with the “Conker” hook bait (hard 10 mm pellet wrapped to paste). Bob caught six Carp to 13lb. It was interesting to see Bob cast his float as the hook bait was much heavier that his float – Conker on the swirly whirly!!

The Silvers was won by Terry Bruton from peg 53 behind the Island with a credible 13lb 4oz. Terry caught mostly Roach on maggot fished short.

Full Result:
1. Bob Price 58-06-0 peg 60
2. Mike Nicholls 41-09-0 peg 62
3. Dave Bacon 41-04-0 peg 63
4. Ray Bazeley 22-06-0 peg 50
5. Bob Tilley 20-01-0 peg 69
6. Alan Jones 19-01-0 peg 48

Top Silvers:

1. Terry Bruton 13-04-0 peg 53
2. Bill Ferris 10-06-0 peg 59
2. Mike Jones 10-06-0 peg 47

1 comment:

Mike Jones said...

Well done Bob Price. Perhaps more anglers old enough to remember to fish a waggler properly might now find one in the bottom of their tackle boxes!