Sunday 10 October 2010

Sunday 10/10/2010 - Carps AC Autumn Silvers League - Viaduct Fishery - Round Two

Bela and I both agreed after today's breakfasts at Shipham that they are on the decline. So we had a scout around Street and found a Wetherspoons (open at 07:00) and The Bear Hotel (open at 07:30), so next trip we are planning on trying both. Turn right at the mini roundabout taking you into the town centre both venues are on the left.

A number of anglers were moaning about Lodge being in today (including the organiser). Personally I like Lodge and was hoping to draw one of it's pegs. And I did peg 68. I was told I wouldn’t beat pegs 69 and 70, we will see! Arriving at the peg the water looked fairly clear - that is compared with Carey. It also promised to be a bright day and with the water levels down it was a case of easy as you go. I set up three Ronnie rigs – for the margin, for 5 metres and the last for 6 metres. I then set up 2 – 4x12 Jolly’s to be fished at 11.5 metres one at 2 o clock and the other at 10 o clock where I could only find 3 foot of water. I decided to leave the middle for CW&C – if required. On the whistle I commenced by feeding a very small amount of micro at 2 o clock followed up with a small ball of Gimps Gold at 10 o clock. Starting on the 3 mm expander pellet over the micro and first cast I had a bite which was missed, out again and another missed bite – small fish me thinks so I put on double micro pellet and had a ½ oz Ronnie. Out again and another ½ oz in the net. I went over the same line with corn which was footballed about by these tiny fish. Over the GB line with double dead red maggot and the same again more ½ oz fish. Time to try the caster on the Ronnie rigs and nothing – not a bite – these tiny fish would not come any closer than 6 metres, which surprised me. So it was decision time – which was to feed walnut sized GB over the 6 metre Ronnie line with single dead red on the hook. It was a struggle all round no one was catching in my section. I stayed with this until the last hour when I decide to feed two 125ml pots of CW&C over the 11.5 metre GB line as an investment should the Skimmers show up late. With half hour to go, by my reckoning I was winning the section and was hoping no one caught any late Skimmers – bugger it wasn’t to be. Rich Coles on peg 69 had three Skimmers and a near Bream in the last 30 minutes and Steve Denmead had an Eel and a decent Bream on peg 71. It was far too late for me to switch to my CW&C line. They both weighed 7lb with Rich Coles beating Steve by 12oz with 7lb 13oz. I weighed circa 150 fish for 4lb 5oz for a section 3rd. What a grueler it was on Lodge today and why didn't it fish that well - simple becasue it was the 10/10/10 - not that I am superstitious. It hasn’t changed my mind about this lake though!! The Dude won Lodge Lake from peg 60 with 15lb.


The match was won by Phil Cardwell (pictured right) from peg 87 on Carey with 34lb 7oz. Phil fished at 14.5 metres alternating between CW and caster fish over CW&C. Phil caught mostly Skimmers plus three bonus Tench. Phil fed ½ kilo of worm and 1 ½ pints of caster all over the same line.

Full Result:

1. Phil Cardwell 34-07-0 peg 87
2. Dick Bull 26-13-0 peg 88
3. Tom Magnell 21-15-0 peg 97
4. Stu Foale 21-09-0 peg 94
5. Steve Long 21-03-0 peg 101 (waggler)
6. Bella Bakos 20-11-0 peg 103 (waggler)

2 comments:

tony rixon,s days out said...

sometimes mike you have to go to the fish, so a visit to spec savers may be in order to get some 11mtr plus glasses

Silverfox Match Angling said...

Darth Vader: Why here? Why me? You have also seen the advert!!