Sunday 26 April 2009

Sunday 25/04/2009 - Carps AC - Rood Ashton

John Bennet announced at the draw that John (The Gimp) Bradford (owner of Avon Angling) has taken over running the Carps AC matches and is officially the now the new Chairman. The first thing John has done is remove the £1 club match day fee. The club matches fees will now be “all paid out” after peg fees subtracted. Tony Rixon won't have anything to moan about with Carps AC now (some say he’ll find something)!!

I know a lot of anglers haven’t fished Rood Ashton so I took a very short video (top left) from the hill above the Lake to impress the size and maturity of the lake. I have written about the Lake on a previous blog.

I walked the pegs before the draw and I didn’t want peg 3 or 8. So when peg 3 was pulled by John Bradford I was expecting a good draw. Not to be, I drew peg 8! This peg is cut right back from adjacent pegs. The peg is at least 11 metre further back than peg 7, with the inside being ten inches deep and stony. However, I did have Son Steve as company on peg 9. I started at 11.5 metres where I had a good depth of two foot! I started on the caster rig at 10 metres and did not have any indications at all. There was a huge hatch of buzzers and noticed small fish taking the shucks. I put this down as the reason why the Ronnie’s wouldn’t take a caster. I noticed Steve catching Carp so quickly switched to paste at 13 metres, over kinder potted 4mm/micro. I had a line bite straight away, then a 3 pounder. I then struggled for five Carp, persevering with paste until that last half hour. During which, I landed four decent Carp, losing a five pounder on the whistle (I knew there was a wind knot in the hook length – line always breaks on these knots – doesn’t it). This fish would have put me third overall, however, I had to settle for joint fifth, weighing 31lb 8oz. It is a lot less tiring fishing for Carp than it is Silvers.



The match was won by son Steve (picture right) from peg 9 with twenty three Carp for 63lb 5oz. Steve fished paste over 4mm pellet at 11 metes. Steve caught steady all day with a slight lull mid match. Steve picked up £60 winners purse.

Runner up was Darren Gillman (pictured bottom right with his best Carp of 9lb 8oz, which was landed five minutes after the whistle) from peg 14 with sixteen Carp for 50lb 3oz. Darren used both pole and straight lead.

The Silvers pool was won by John Bradford with a mere 1lb 12oz!
With Steve Jefferies picking up 2nd in the Silvers with 2oz!!!

Full Result:

1. Steve Nicholls 63-05-0 peg 9

2. Darren Gillman 50-03-0 peg 14
3. Shane Caswell 33-08-0 peg 6
4. Terry Bruton 31-10-0 peg 12
5. Mike Nicholls 31-08-0 peg 85.
5. John Baker 31-08-0 peg 13

Top Silvers:

1. John Bradford 1-12-0 peg 3

2. Steve Jefferies 0-2-0 peg 7

1 comment:

shifty said...

sounds like the cameraman is knocking one out!! while filming