Monday 13 April 2009

Sunday 12/04/2009 - Cider Farm Open - Yarlington Mill

I am sure a number of anglers wonder why the match lake is named Yarlington Mill. So er tis:

Yarlington Mill (Malus domestica):
"A common sight in large scale cider orchards, Yarlington Mill is a very desirable cider apple. The medium sized, pale yellow fruit have firm flesh, which is best for juicing, and a medium bittersweet flavour that manages to really express both the sweet and astringent elements - it has a great aroma too. It is classed as a vintage cider apple, so you don't need to combine it with any other fruit to make a full bodied, lip-smacking beverage. The tree grows at a fair pace and while it may take a year or two longer to start bearing fruit than most other varieties, once it gets into its stride it will bear really heavy crops. It does have a biennial tendency, however, producing bumper crops one year and less impressive amounts the next. The fruit drop from the tree readily when they are ripe, so you may want to put a net under the tree in October, when they are starting to ripen. Yarlington Mill was a seedling from unknown parents found in the village of Yarlington".

So there you go, you now know the name of the trees you beat with your poles and the apples you skate on in October!!

Nearly an overnight frost. With clear blue skies welcoming us and stayed all day, which wasn't conducive for fishing. It was good to hear the match a sell out and to see Terry King down from Brum for his first visit.

Steve came along again today. I drew peg 7 and Steve 32. I had fished peg 32 before and caught 31lb for nowhere; but I hadn’t fished peg 7 before, however, I have fished peg 8 and weighed 85lb for fourth. Luckily peg 8 wasn’t in so I had some room. I went to Steve’s peg and explained how I had previously fished it. There were plenty of fish moving in the margins in most pegs – not usually a good sign. I set up both paste and pellet rigs for the open water and a shallow rig for in the various margin options. I left quite a long line on this rig due to the bright conditions. I started on the 6mm expander and have some swirly line bites, so I switched to the paste on the same line and had a couple of 2lb Carp (the fish at Cider Farm fight 30% over their weight). The swim went dead so tried further down the peg and had four more Carp. It seemed that if you fed the fish would back off. I had a go with the maggot and had 2lb of Rudd and Ronnie’s, and likewise, feed and the fish did a disappearing act; frustrating. I decided to set up a shallow paste rig for tight in to the far margins where the fish were moving, but this time no feeding. This worked well and in the last ¾ hour I doubled my weight. Hindsight is wonderful – NOT. I weighed 34lb 4oz for eighth in the match plus a section win and a pick up of £25. Steve weighed 38lb 14oz for fifth in the match and a section win also.


The match was won by Mark Radford (pictured right) with 61lb 9oz from peg 41. Mark caught the majority of his fish on paste from the near side margins; fished over 8mm loose fed pellet.

Full Result:

1. Mark Radford 61-09-0 peg 41
2. Glenn Bailey 57-02-0 peg 46
3. Craig Tucker 52-09-0 peg 58
4. Tim Ford 39-10-0 peg 25
5. Steve Nicholls 38-14-0 peg 32
6. Adam Caswell 37-07-0 peg 36

No comments: