Wednesday 20 October 2010

Wednesday 20/10/2010 - Avon Angling Open - Landsend Fishery

The forecasters promised it to be a cold bright day. Again driving down the temperature touched zero.

As the Carps AC had cancelled their match at Withy I decided to fish Rip Off’s match at Landsend. It’s much better for the Special One and me now his draw times are earlier, at 09-30 fishing to 16-45. This gets me home at 18:30 for dinner which was Beef stew tonight – scrummy – never enough, even though it’s running over the edge of the plate.

I was hoping to draw in the sun and luckily I did, drawing peg 5 on Match Lake, as opposite me they all looked froze as I sat in just three layers. I was told by Leyton Palmer that Martyn Rayett struggled on the peg Saturday weighing in 16lb. However, as I said the peg was in the sun and I still fancied it for a few Silvers and Carp. The water looked fairly clear and was about 18 inches down on the normal level. So I decided to take it steady and keep everything tight. This meant one 4x12 yellow top Jolly to fished at 12 metres which was just down the bottom of the far shelf to be fished with 3mm expander pellet. And the same again with a black top to be fished at 10 metres to peg 6 pallet with caster for the Perch etc… I started by being positive on the caster line putting in a big pot of caster with a dash of dead reds. I started on the soft pellet kinder potting in a tiny amount of expander 2’s (all Sensas pellet which can be purchased from Avon Angling - if there is any left). I didn’t have to wait long for my first foul hooked Carp which didn’t end up in the net. After every bite I planned to top up with the kinder cup by counting out 12 pellets. I was worried I would over do the feed today. The next bite resulted in a 4 lb Carp which fought well, diving a couple of times for the pallet. I then had a couple of Skimmers and F1’s. It seemed that every time you hooked a fish its mates would do a runner, taking a while to be coax back. I think this was due to the clarity of the water. So after an hour I went down to the pallet with double caster in anticipation of catching one of the 4lb Perch that I hear are caught in Match Lake. The bait had just settled and the float disappeared. Well what a surprise to find an 8 to 10lb Carp tail walking with my hook in its mouth, but not for long as the fish crashed down on my line and away it swam. I think the Carp was as surprised as I was! Next put in resulted in a lost foul hooker, where are all the Perch, as next put in I landed a Carp of about 3lb. The swim then died. I re-fed and went back on my pellet line. I did try the caster line from time to time catching a couple of Ronnie’s and yes one 4oz Perch. It appeared to be fishing hard all round so I decided to concentrate on the pellet line. This resulted in another four Skimmers and three more F1’s and six more Carp. I was wondering whether it would have been more productive to have had two swims going so that I could rotate – on the other hand it might have made things worse – who knows. I did notice that the Carp appeared to have backed off, down to between pegs 7 & 8. My eight Carp weighed in at 31lb 12oz (too small) and my Silvers went 13lb 8oz giving me a total of 45lb 4oz for fourth overall and highest weight on Match Lake.

"We always know when we over feed but never know when we under feed" (Mike Nicholls 2010)!

The match was won by Nick Duckett (pictured right with the Silvers winner on the left of picture) with 59lb 14oz from peg 31. Nick caught al his fish on hard 6mm pellet at 16 metres over the the corner bush.

Kevin Moulton won the Silvers with 34lb 5oz from peg 35. Kevin fished CW&C down the far shelf with caster hook bait, switching later to up the shelf using worm over caster. Kev caught quality Silvers including F1's, Bream, Perch and Chub.

Full Result:

1. Nick Duckett 59-14-0 peg 31
2. Jamie Brown 55-03-0 peg 28
3. Kevin Moulton 52-09-0 peg 35
4. Mike Nicholls 45-04-0 peg 5
5. Tony Rixon 42-0-0 peg 40
6. Craig "Trigger" Edmonds 37-10-0 peg 16

Top Silvers:

1. Kev Moulton 34-05-0 peg 35
2. John Bradford 26-04-0 peg 13
3. Tony Rixon 25-11-0 peg 13

No comments: