Thursday 5 August 2010

Thursday 05/08/2010 - Bathampton Over 55's - Main Lake

The results will look impressive from the Huntstrete Main Lake today. However, the top six or so weights never tell the whole story. For every good weight today there were three real grullers to go with them. I came to the conclusion that the fish (especially Carp) are not competing for food, hence difficult to catch, as again today no Carp were caught. There are two possible reasons - the Lake is either over fed or under stocked. The other observation is that currently you either catch a 2lb plus Bream or a 1oz Ronnie there doesn’t seem to be anything in between – could this be due to predation? In any case, as I have said before, this Lake needs a stocking policy review. Interestingly enough talking to Clint Elliot at Whiteacres he has found by restocking his Lakes with F1’s and Skimmers that the bigger Carp are now being caught regularly, purely due to the competition for food – food for thought!!

Another new recruit - Paul Haynes - how come we didn't let him win!!

I drew peg 28 and thought I might be in for a chance of some Bream. I set up a 4x12 Jolly as the water depth was a mere 30 inches and had a premade up light feeder rod. I had already planned for a GB attack with my all time favourite for the river - Sensas Bream 3000. As this GB has plenty of corn particles I choose corn for hook bait. I started by cupping in three large balls at 13 metres and fish soft 6 mm expander over the top and caught a 2lb Skimmer first out in – here we go then – not. I fished this line hard for three hours for just another pound of bits. I decided to go for my Banana walk and circled the entire lake. On my return I picked up my Normark no 1 feeder rod as all I needed to do was take off the end covers and hey-presto – not - another tangle which necessitated me to re-tackle the rod again – there must be a knack to this – not enough practice I guess, have to have a chat with Glenn Bailey. First chuck using the same GB with corn on the hook a Skimmer of 2lb. I repeated this on the next six chucks, only for the swim to die, not getting another bite. I weighed 15lb 12oz for sixth in the match.

The match was won by Chris Snow (pictured right with the Martin Alexander – runner up and Dave Gillard coming a close third – both anglers catching on the feeder) from the usual match winning Bream swim peg 13 with 59lb 12oz. Chris fished 6mm expander on the hook loose feeding the same over the top at six metres. Chris caught Bream to 4lb.

Full Result:

1. Chris Snow 59-12-0 peg 13
2. Martin Alexander 39-08-0 peg 26
3. Dave Gillard 35-04-0 peg 32
4. Dave Bacon 21-02-0 peg 31
5. John Smith 21-0-0 peg 5
6. Mike Nicholls 15-12-0 peg 28

No comments: