Friday 29 March 2024

Thursday 28/03/2024 - Shiplate Farm - Cost Cutter - Main Lake

Glenn and me booked into Shiplate. We've not been there for a year. Dom Sullivan is now match organiser. I was really looking forward it until we seen the weather forecast. Shiplate Farm is close to the coast (W-S-M) so the conditions were going to be far worse than inland.

The weather made it desperate to draw either pegs 9, 8, 7, or 6. In to the draw bag and peg 14b stuck to my hand. With the wind blasting into peg 15 corner found myself on the second worse peg weather wise. Normally would have been happy with it.

The plan was to fish expander over GB laced with micro with a few expanders. Set up a 4x14 to have a plumb around. Its very shallow close in but could get to a decent depth of 5 foot at top set plus two barrels. I was expecting the float to go against the wind, alas not it was sitting with the wind at 45 degrees! Further up the lake the more pronounce the tow got against the wind. The wind was too strong on my peg and was overcoming the tow. Set up a short rig to fish the top set in the shallow water 2 1/2 feet where it was still going with the wind but a lot less.

Tried the planned expander but got nibbled out by Ronnie's. Thought about setting up a GB feeder but had left the worms home. The thought of packing in crossed my mind as it was almost unfishable. Changed to caster and GB and did have plenty of bites in-between holding on to the brolly. I did hook a large Carp who's pectoral fin caught the line which helped me nearly net it early. Got a bit impatient and broke the rig line - well over 10 lb.

The upshot we were all glad to hear the all out. My Ronnie silver  weighed  15 lb 4 oz for nowhere. The silver weights were low today which frustrated me even further because couldn't use my planed attack.

Shaun Putney had a close shave with a medium size tree just to his left blowing over into the lake. Shaun lucky to get away with just brown underpants.

The match was won by Colin Fellows with 114 lb 2 oz from peg 5. Colin caught on the Method.

The Silvers was won by Roger Kimberley (pictured) with 24 lb 14 oz from peg 8. Roger caught Skimmers at 10 metres using either worm heads or double caster.

No double or a single bubble for the van today. We did have a double van spill though. Lol

Weigh Sheet:



No comments: