Monday 25 March 2024

Sunday 24/03/2024 - Alcove Club - Rover - White House Farm

Looking forward to this match, not done many rover matches. Good turn out with 19 fishing. I'm a novice on this venue, so thought it important to have a walk around to see where I fancied. Didn't fancy Margret's which appeared to be of colour. Got to Georges which looked good. The wind put me off the low numbers. Pegs 18, 10, 8 and 7 would be my choice. 10, 8 and 7 are the longest walks which would put some off going there and is around Chub Island.

Didn't want to be in the early one to pick my peg as wanted some space so happy with 13th to pick. My turn came and only 2 before me had selected Georges so peg 10 it was. I did have great company with Steve Brown on 11. Peg 10 is opposite a very small island with plenty of over hangs, plus it's under a tree which necessitates casting over the left shoulder, both obstacles to keep me on my toes.

Set up a 7" bodied waggler on 3 lb Maxima and 0.14 GLine hook length to 18 - 808. Can't see face on how much the bushes overhang so had a few casts without the hook to find the best ares. The long Ronnie rig which would be first to try.

Loose fed some LR's over to the island. The wind was perfect for feeding and casting. Fed the Ronnie line with GB laced with LP's. Soon catching small Ronnie's and a couple of bonus Skimmers on double Pinkie. The line went quite and pulling pack to re cast pricked a Carp which bow waved out of the peg towards peg 8. Refed so time to try the Waggler with single LR on the hook. Had an immediate response from Chub to 3 lb landing five loosing one which hooked up on my keepnet. It went quiet so came off the island a couple of metres and had some Ronnie's to 6 oz and a couple of hard fighting 8 oz Hybrid's. I had been loose feeding the Ronnie line with LR's on the Ronnie rig line and went over that to rest the island line and had some nice Ronnie's. Back out on the island and had some small Chub and more Ronnie's. As the match progress kept switching between the two lines to keep the Ronnie's and small Chub coming.

My silvers weighed 32 lb 7 oz for surprising first overall. Very enjoyable day's fishing at a well managed fishery.

Thanks to Tony Welsby for the well organised match, guess rover matches are harder to run.

Weigh Sheet:







No comments: