Friday 8 March 2024

Thursday 07/03/2024 - Windmill Cost Cutter 500 - Match Lake

Been a long time since I've fished Windmill. Good turn out of 21, more the merrier I say. Rumour has it the access road will soon be repaired.

Looking forward to today as it was to be dry. Most fisheries are suffering from muddy banks as it is here. Plus the enticement of a curry and draft Cobra on the way home with Geoff and Glenn.

I was told the silvers were down on pegs 10 and 11 so hoping for one of those. Into the draw bag and found red milk bottle top 22 in my hand. No emotion, yet! For company on peg 21 Geoff, so good company.

Set up the waggler, short Ronnie rig and a 4x16 to fish the peg is deep found 5 foot at top set - no rolling out the barrels day.

The up shot was didn't have a single bite on the silver rigs. The tow against the wind was horrendous, tried the waggler which went with the wind presentation didn't feel right. Foul hooked a small Carp which came off. With no one on my bank having caught and pegs 24 and 25 catching Carp set up the feeder rod. The rod and reel are Diawa's which was won 20 years ago and been out 4 times without really catching. I put in a very soft tip as hoping for some Skimmers. Set up a small maggot feeder. I don't clip the waggler or the feeder so took a few casts to get the distance right, probably to the amusement of Geoff who's proficient on the feeder. With double LR's and one Pinkie on the hook I was getting liners. Knew it was due the steep slope I was fishing against with the fish coming up behind the hook. Luckily the soft tip came in good use as I could inch the feeder down the slope until finding the hook bait over the feed. Had a near 14 lb
Common followed quickly by another double after the third things slowed up but the liners did not, so switched to half a dendrobaena on the hook this worked better but still had to inch down from where I was casting and learnt where to best hold up. Had three more Carp but not as big as the first three. No sign of a silver.

The six Carp weighed 48 lb for 6th overall and a section win. Got some stick for fishing the feeder with Geoff taking pictures as proof. I think it was the liners that kept my interest. I Rest the rod on my keep net, don't think I will be getting the feeder arm out anytime soon though.

The match was won by John Williams (pictured above) with 75 lb 7 oz from peg 25. John fished at 10 metres using his favourite part soaked 4 mm Skrettings pellet fished over 4's. Well done mate. I use to use this method - my semi hard's, must try it again sometime. Well done matey.

The silvers was won by Hughie Evans (pictured) with a cracking weight and the best for a long time of 13 lb 5 oz from peg 11. Hughie caught on maggot or Pinkie at 11 metres over GB. Well done matey nice to see the Cormorants haven't munched them all.

Then for the highlight of the day a visit to my favourite Bangladeshi restaurant with Geoff and Glenn - excellent as usual only thing the Cobra on draft a bit too scrummy.

Weigh Sheets:






No comments: