Monday 18 December 2023

Sunday 17/12/2023 - Westerleigh Winter League - Round 2 - Taylor's Pool and Shipp's Canal

Wetherspoons breakfast with Geoff which went down well.

Drawn Andy in the pairs and with our four weights so far we are already out of it, especially as Brain and Glenn have been drawing well and bagging.

My turn on Taylor's Pool wanted to avoid pegs 15 and 16. Nope peg 16 again for me. Had a sniff of my Bib and Brace as I thought it might be the closest I would get to any fish!! Found myself between Mark peg 17 and Vince peg 15 and a bloody cold wind in the smacker. Tony drew peg 16 last match and had 13 oz. However, I had drawn this peg many times (too many) and now think I was ready to get the best from it - that's all you can hope for. With very few Carp coming from this area I would target Silvers.

Set the waggler up purely to use whilst drinking a cuppa. Didn't have a bite on it, visibility and my feeding into the wind was awful. Three rigs 2 - 4 x14's one to fish at top set plus one up the shelf and the other to fish one more barrel at full depth, about 12 inches different. Plus the short Ronnie rig. Maggot, GB and wetted micro on the table - simple.

Plan was to feed the four lines the same with GB laced with DR's and the long line with GB laced with micro. Start on the top set Plus one line and work out to the longer line then on to the Ronnie rig, all with single LR hook bait. The short line produced a few small skimmers and a F1, after which the line died. So out on the long line and had a decent skimmer and a few Ronnie's before I killed it off with too much feed! Spent the second half on the match on the short Ronnie rig switching from side to side to keep small Ronnie's and Perch coming steady to the end - including another decent Skimmer and a 8 oz Ronnie 😁.

I was surprised to see my silvers weigh 9 lb 15 oz and the lake silvers win. The lonely F1 weighed 1 lb 6 oz for a total of 11 lb 5 oz. Certainly would have settled with that at the draw. Really enjoyed the day except for the cold facing wind.

Our lake was won by Martin Mc Mahon (pictured with the silvers winner - a rare picture with Martin smiling) with 38 lb 13 oz from fancied peg 22. Well done Matey.

Shipp's Canal was won by Bela Bakos (pictured with the joint silvers winners - Bill and Johnny both having 5 lb 12 oz) with 60 lb 3 oz from fancied peg 2. Bela has been drawing peg 10 or 2 for some time - so we are starting to called him 10 to 2. He caught short on maggot over maggot. Well done all.

Weigh Sheets:






No comments: