Monday 4 December 2023

Sunday 03/12/2023 - Westerleigh Winter League - Round One - Taylor's Pool and Shipp's Canal

Every year when the bad weather starts, I ask myself why I don't go more in the Summer - definitely next year.

Last weeks match was a practice which was very useful in letting everyone know the fishing on Taylors Pool will very different this year!

The last four days has been freezing, so some extra layers today only for it to go mild leaving me sweating.

We fish four matches on each pool, so it doesn't Matter which lake you draw to start, just didn't want pegs 15 or 16 on Taylors. Into the the car boot and found peg disc 13 starting back at me - Oh yes 13 is a peg you don't want on Shipp's in the early matches - bugger.

Nice comfortable peg with a few well made steps down to the peg. Peg 13 is very shallow and was very clear today and could see the bottom two metres out. This would mean fishing long. Last year I drew it in the practice match and having tried the waggler to no avail didn't bother setting it up and knowing it was about the same 3 foot all over only set a 12x14 Winter Titan, to fish on two lines both at 10 metres one in front and the other at 2 o'clock to the right.

Fed the right side only to start, with some micro and DR's and with double on the hook and after 15 minutes had one micro Perch in the net. Now the rub on this peg is you can see all the better pegs which can be very frustrating being distracted by anglers striking and with most of them having a Carp or three in this time, knew the writing was on the wall as anticipated - going to be last on the pool. So a switch to GB and Pinkie on both lines caught small Ronnie's steady regularly switching. It wasn't until the last hour that by changing my feeding that my catch rate increased. I did have a 4 lb Carp and losing one fouler which would have given me some additional points - but I was resigned to my first dropper.

My all Ronnie catch weighed 5lb 12 oz which was second silvers weight on the pool by 1 oz  to Steve Rogers! However, Steve picked up second on the pool so a default silvers win for me - Perhaps peg 13 isn't that bad after all!!!! The Carp weighed 3 lb 12 oz and as expected last in the section. Hoping my back will be OK in the morning after swinging 10 metres all day. What was interesting when I returned the one Carp it stayed more or less where it would have been in the keepnet?

Shipps Pool was won by Bri Shanks (pictured with a 14 lb Common in his catch) with 79 lb 10 oz from peg 1. Bri caught 3/4's over using maggot hook bait over kindered micro and maggot. Well done matey.

Andy won Taylors Pool with a lowly 15 lb 1 oz from peg 26 - Andy had gone early so did know how he caught - Well done Matey.

The weigh sheet for Taylor's Pool isn't very clear - not a bad thing! Next match 17/12/2023 will I avoid pegs 15 and 16?

Back to the New Inn for a well earned pint.

Weigh Sheets:





No comments: