Friday 24 December 2021

Thursday 23/12/2021 - Rixon's Rip Off - Plantation - Main Lake

It was sad news to hear Wayne Storey passed away today who was one of our BAA Over 55's. Wayne has been ill for some time but didn't stop him from fishing and never heard him complain once about his illness, but was always helpful explaining how he fished the matches. RIP matey will be missed by all us.

I would like to thank those that take on the unenviable task of running matches I attend: Tony Rixon, Dave Gillard, Ray Bazeley, Mike Chapman and Eddie Wynne, Brian Shanks and Gerry Walsh. A thankless task at the best of times.

Ray Bazeley wasn't running a match at Windmill so booked in to Tony' Rixon's Rip Off - Silvers only at the very popular Plantation fishery. Always a good turn out of excellent silvers anglers, probably could fill it twice over.

Travelled with Glenn Bailey and had a quick look see of the near bank and said to Glenn I fancied peg 1, it was the only peg that had any signs of a bit of wind cover. I have had some good days on this peg. Over cast with drizzle which was to continue on and off all day, at least it was very mild.

Last but one to draw and ended up on peg 24 which is the far side of the lake and the least muddy area. However, fancied I was a bit too far up. For company I had Rip Off on peg 26.75. Plus I had a platform and a black and white Kitten sat under my trolley!

Being flat calm I decided to target Ronnie's so set up the Ronnie rig, a 4 metre Drennan whip and a 4x13 MR to fish at 10 metres for a look see for skimmers. Time to get the 0.1 GLine hook lengths out, only in case I hook Carp.

Fed the whip line and the skimmer line with GB laced with a copious amounts of LP's and the Ronnie line with loose fed caster which is where I started with single caster hook bait. I expected a bite early but with no signs after 15 minutes abandoned this in favour of the whip. With double Pinkie hook bait started to catch some decent Ronnie's. I kept topping up with a squeezes hand full of laced GB. I foul hooked a carp which thankfully just gave me a scale which went in the net! Fed the line and tried the skimmer line and have five very quick 4-6 oz skimmers - thought I was in for a good day. I fed this line again and had instant result with a 2 lb skimmer. Fed again and a 1 1/2 lb skimmer, then a 5 lb carp which I bullied but landed. The line went worrying quiet. Re fed and picked up the whip and had a few more Ronnie's to 8 oz. I then hooked another Carp which broke the hook length. So the first half of the match over and felt I was holding my own with the anglers I could see. Come the second half it became a real struggle - even the Kitten abandoned me. I scratched around on both lines trying all sorts - Kindering Pinkie, Loose GB and Loose fed Pinkie. It was very hard and could see signs of carp but didn't hook anymore. I just kept falling behind so was glad to hear Rip Off call all out and as per usual he waited until I shipped out!!

My silvers weighed 16 lb 3 oz for sixth overall and one out of the money. Very enjoyable day's fishing.

The match was won by Des Shipp (pictured with the runner up) with 30 lb 14 oz of Roach to 1 lb from fancied peg 1. Des caught on caster over caster either loose fed or potted at 14.5 metres.
Mark caught all skimmers GB and maggot at 11.5 metres.

Result:

1. Des Shipp 30-14-0 peg 1
2. Mark Broomsgrove 26-13-0 peg 27
3. Dave Willmott 24-14-0 peg 19
4. Tony Rixon 21-04-0 peg 25
5. Gary Bowden 19-1-0 peg 5
6. Mike Nicholls 16-03-0 peg 24

Weigh Sheet:



No comments: