Friday 26 November 2021

Thursday 25/11/2021 - Ray's Rip Off - Windmill Fishery - Match Lake

Bright sunny day, with little to no wind, albeit a bit nippy. Put the heated body warmer on today first outing of the winter, which only got switched on once near the end.

Down to twelve fishing today. Into the draw bag and out comes peg 18. No emotion, but fancied being up in the low twenties. Company today was the affable John Osborne on peg 19.

Arrived at the peg and set up the box and noticed a horrid smell which was dog poo on my boots transferred to my foot plate and box. Back to the car to get a cloth and hand sanitiser. Not a good start with the smell staying with me for most of the match. Dirty dog owners.

The last match on peg 10 the thought was I fished it wrong by fishing the waggler at distance with the unavoidable spreading of the feed whereas I should have kept it tight on the long pole. So made the decision to not set up the waggler today, which proved costly. However, I set up allsorts for the silvers hoping they would feed.

The upshot was having fished four different rigs over the first three hours for silvers I didn't have a bite! John Osborne had landed one foul hooked carp losing a few fishing at 16 metres and said he thought he was getting nibbles from silvers. I thought of setting up the waggler so tried feeding over testing the LR grouping, which was OK, so set up the waggler whilst John played and lost another foul hooker in my peg.

First cast I had an indication - the first of the day. I soon hooked a fouler which I pulled out of at the net. More indications which definitely weren't silvers as I foul hooked another two losing both. With half hour to go I fairly hooked a small carp next cast another was landed. I had two more indications before the all out. 

My two carp weighed 7 lb 6 oz for fifth. Johns one fouler weighed 7 lb 15 oz! I didn't have any silvers and I suspects the flying predators sat on the pylons behind me didn't either. I think the silvers have wised up to them being aware of the dangers and only come out of the reeds to feed at night.

The match was won by Jeff Grant (pictured above before the "all in" patiently waiting like a coiled spring) with 53 lb from peg 9. Jeff caught on the tip using a 12 gram olivet free running lead with punched bread fished over to the island on various lines.

The silvers was won by Tony Ponting (pictured with the match winner) with 2 lb from peg 22. Tony caught at 7 and 13 metres using maggot over potted maggot. Not one big skimmer but all small fish to 4 oz. Well done to both.

It was back to the "Ringer" with over half of todays field for a welcome pint and a warm and a right laugh, a good end to a hard day but enjoyable day out.

Another match Sunday - Book in with Gerry Walsh by texting only to 07766103846.

Result:

1. Jeff Grant 53-0-0 peg 9

2. Tony Ponting 22-10-0 peg 22

3. John Osborne 7-15-0 peg 19

Silvers:

1. Tony Ponting 2-0-0 peg 22

2. Dave Poole 0-15-0 peg 4 

Weigh Sheets:












No comments: