Monday 22 November 2021

Sunday 21/11/2021 - Windmill Open - Match Lake

The temperature has certainly dropped, it felt colder than the thermometer due to a bitterly cold NNE wind. I thought I had dressed accordingly but was still feeling it a bit nearing the end of the match.

Only eleven fishing. Into the draw bag and out comes red milk bottle top 10. With the wind now blowing the other way towards the car park it would be flat calm down the LH side where carp are usually caught. The bright sun light was going to be a hindrance.

Decided to initially give the silvers a go so set up the long Ronnie rig and a 4 x 14 Winter Titan to fish top-set plus three barrels. The waggler was set up for the carp to fish long down the edge into the deep water at about 5 foot and a 0.3 gram RJ slim to fish top-set plus three barrels down the edge to the second shelf at about 3 foot.

One if the problems with todays pegging was that I could only see one angler which was John Osbourne on peg 8 so wouldn't get a balanced impression on how it was fishing. I fed the silvers lines with a nugget of GB laced with LP's, the margin with a big pot of micro, GB and DR's and pulted MLM's down on the waggler line. Starting on the Ronnie rig and didn't take long to realise it was going to be hard - very hard. After 10 minutes and no bites my inpatients got the better of me picking up the waggler. Second cast I had a missed bite, second cast I hooked and landed a 3 lb carp. Next cast I foul hooked a better carp which broke me. This lead me up the garden path sticking with the waggler instead of giving the silvers a proper go. I spent three hours trying to catch another carp before switching around all the other lines I had fed. The margin produced nothing I had two small Ronnie's on the long line and a about 15 small fish in the Ronnie rig, mostly small Perch. Instead of sticking with the silvers I spent the last hour on the waggler whilst I packed away the other rigs. The expectation was to catch a few carp late but caught nowt.

My one carp weighed 3 lb 15 oz and my silvers 1 lb 4 oz for a total of 5 lb 3 oz. Looking at the weigh sheet I should have concentrated on the silvers.

The match was won by John Osbourne (pictured right with his catch) with 36 lb 7 oz from peg 8. John fished 14.5 metres towards the island catching on double maggot over potted maggot. John did land a few foul hooked carp including a 2 lb skimmer which helped him to double bubble also taking the silvers with 2 lb 14 oz.

Leighton Palmer took the silvers by default with one 2 lb 13 oz skimmer.

Back to the "Ringer" with the usual suspects for a warm.

Result:

1. John Osbourne 36-07-0 peg 8

2. Dave Willmott 22-03-0 peg 18

3. Bob Warren 21-06-0 peg 1

Silvers:

1. John Osbourne 2-14-0 peg 8

2. Leyton Palmer 2-13-0 peg 20 

Weigh Sheet:


 

No comments: