Wednesday 4 August 2021

Tuesday 03/08/2021 - Acorn Cost Cutter - Paddocks

First time back to Acorn for some weeks, so was looking forward to it, especially as it's starting to settle down and fish more consistently.

Glenn and me had a walk around, I still fancied peg 27, still yet to fish.

Mike Chapman drew me peg 1 first time on this peg, perhaps peg 27 next time. A good peg but comes with the scales. Luckily Bob Smith on peg 3 was to do the heavy work leaving me to do the writing, thanks Bob.

Brand new platform big enough for a barn dance! I had a good plumb around and found a decent flat plateau in the RH margin and even though it's normally a Carp peg I thought I might gets some Silvers there. So set up the short Ronnie rig and a RJ paste bullet both for this margin. Started on the Ronnie rig with single maggot over potted GB and had a decent run of all sorts of Silvers for about an hour at which time the Carp started to take an interest in the GB. Switched to paste but only liners and foulers. Back on the Ronnie rig where things had slowed, but did have a 3 lb Carp. The more GB I fed the more Carp I attracted. Had a bit of a torrid time fouling on both the Ronnie and paste rigs. It's a venue that for unknown reason I don't land foulers, so very frustrating.

Just because by either how or what you feed attracts the fish in to your peg it doesn't necessarily make it the right way to catch them!

I stopped the GB changing to loose feeding 4 to 6 hard 4's over the paste which had a dramatic effect from swirling fish and liners to positive bites which resulted in a good run of decent size Common Carp which fight you in the water, in the landing net and on the land. I had six late on for 45 lb. I was glad to hear the all out as I was nearing the net limits as I was unaware of the new 50 lb rules only took four nets.

My first hour of silvers weighed 16 lb 4 oz (two decent Carp equivalent) and my Carp 129 lb 6 oz for a close fourth overall weight of 145 lb 10 oz.

On the way home Glenn an I discussed our day and Glenn had similar issues to me with the GB.

The match was won by Gary Bowden (pictured very upright) with 188 lb 14 oz from peg 40. Gary caught mainly at top set pus one out in front with paste over potted wetted down 4's. Gary caught steady for most of the match, later catching down his LH margin towards the bridge.

The Silvers was won by Eddie Wynne (pictured with his catch) with 41 lb 3 oz from peg 7 with plenty of room. Eddie caught short using worm, caster and maggot.

Result:








Weigh Sheets:













No comments: