Monday 9 August 2021

Sunday 08/08/2021 - Sedges - Pops Charity Pairs - Tile and Brick Lakes

Partnered with Glenn Bailey for Pops charity Pairs match. Both Glenn and me had been out to parties the night before and with heavy rain when we set off, neither fancied it. I felt really tired.

Steady drive down and back via the motorway which was a surprise as we usually have to get off at W-S-M coming home. Team tactics discussed for a few seconds - paste it was then.

Steve Segar tossed a coin for us - winner chooses lake. I won and chose Tile, only because it has a better margin than Brick. Apparently, a pair would  have a good peg and a no so good peg. So captain Two Pots did the draw. I was on peg 31 and and Glenn peg 4. We both wondered which was the good peg! My peg had a tree to the left which left very little margin. It wasn't much better the other side due to the Sedges. With an island opposite made the peg designed for the method chucker's me thinks - not for me, but did think about setting up a maggot feeder. However, the wind was blowing into this end and thought it might produce.

I initially set up three paste rigs. A bullet for the right margin (shallow) and a 0.4 gram for the left in three foot of water and a 0.5 gram out in front set to five foot - all on the top set.

I started out in front with paste over a large pot of micro and initially expected nibbling Ronnie's. I didn't! This indicated that the small Silvers wasn't feeding making the paste a good option. It took a while before I had a bite which  was a 2 lb Skimmer. Due to the wind blowing the rig up the shelf it was difficult to keep the paste on station so decided to feed both margins with micro with hard 4's over the top. Because the Nibblers were absent the best bait for Carp is maggot, using either maggot or paste hook baits over them, so got up and set up a 4x14 Titan to fish maggot out in front. I fed a pot of LR's out in front and tried the margins. No signs of Carp or Skimmers just the odd indication from very tiny fish. Went out with triple maggot hook bait and had a couple of flying Skimmers. However, I was having problems holding the hook bait on station again and was towing into Skimmers fouling hooking them, but not landing them. Very frustrating. I had my one and only Carp which weighed a massive 12 oz! I kept adding the odd Skimmer between the foulers. I switched to feeding DR's which resulted in the best part of the day as I started to catch Eels including a fouler!. I had four and last put in lost one about 3 lb which broke me. Size for size they fight harder than Carp.

I weighed 21 lb 2 oz which beat anglers around me which went to prove I was at the wrong end of the lake and only managed 12 points from 20. Steve Segar opposite me actually blanked not having a bite all match. Glenn faired better but was also at the wrong end of his lake weighing 39 lb 12 oz for 7 points giving us a total of 19 for half way position.

The pairs was won by Ben Hagg peg 38 and Scott Puddy peg 8 (pictured) with 5 points. They both caught at 16 metres. Scott staying slapping throughout the match and similarly Ben slapping and catching some on the deck. Well done to both, how nice it must be to be young and fit like these two.


I must say Jamie did a great job weighing in most efficient and fish friendly I've seen.

Last words from Glenn "at least it didn't rain".

Result:

Overall 1st Scott Puddy and Ben Hagg 5 points 124lb 4oz
Overall 2nd Jamie Parkhouse and Paul Homewood 9 points 147lb 4oz
Overall 3rd Tony Rixon and Chris Fox 9 points 140lb 4oz

Brick Lake 1st Jamie Parkhouse 112lb 2oz peg 11
Brick Lake 2nd Tony Rixon 99lb 3oz peg 9
Brick Lake 3rd Russ Peck 66lb 10oz peg 20
Tile Lake 1st Ben Hagg 71lb 15oz peg 38
Tile Lake 2nd Lee Masey 53lb 4oz peg 21
Tile Lake joint 3rd Adrian Bishop 49lb 9oz peg 24
Tile Lake joint 3rd Jamie Cook 49lb 9oz peg 36

Weigh Sheets:



No comments: