Friday 6 August 2021

Thursday 05/08/2021 - Windmill Fishery - Ray's Rip Off - Match Lake

We have all been enjoying the return to this venue. The Silver fishing has improved immensely and the beautiful Common Carp have grown on significantly ideal for match fishing.

The forecast to be typically UK August holiday weather - wind and rain.

Really didn't mind where I drew so no emotion when I pulled peg 4. I have won the Silvers a few times from this peg in the past, but decided to have a Carp and paste day. So set up just the two paste rigs - a RJ paste bullet for the margin and a 0.4 gram to fish just up the inside shelf out in front. With a strong wind I shortened the line from top set to float as I would have to do a bit of holding back. Plumbing up I set the deep rig to about five foot which was about  a foot or so up the shelf. Plumbing around with the Bullet couldn't really find anywhere I fancied. There is a small bay down to the left with a reasonable depth but didn't fancy the fish would come in there - and they didn't. Couldn't go too far either way because of reeds and overhanging trees, felt hemmed in a bit. Started out in front with paste over potted micro and had a great start with two decent Commons within 10 minutes. The next 10 minutes I lost another two one due to my impatience, the other due to bad angling, you just can't rush these Commons. Basically I caught steady there after losing a few foulers in the process. However, I was very disappointed that I couldn't get the margins to work which is very unusual and spent enough wasted time to have improved my framing position had I stayed out in front.

My two accidental Skimmers weighed 4 lb 14 oz and my Carp 110 lb 15 oz for a third overall total of 115 lb 13 oz just one fish off of second!

The match was won by Dave Willy Willmott (pictured with the Silvers winner - both looking cold and wet) with 150 lb 11 oz from gap peg 7. Dave caught mainly from each margin using meat hook bait over meat.

The Silvers was won by Dave Haines (pictured with his lovely net of Silvers) with 27 lb 6 oz from gap peg 17. Dave caught on maggot hook bait over maggot and GB feed.

Glenn Bailey made a fateful decision to put back an accidental Skimmer, even though he had room for more Carp in his other nets. Lesson learnt.

Back to the Ringer - inside this time!

Result:

1. Dave Willy Willmott 150-11-0 peg 7

2. Chris Gay 120-13-0 peg 1

3. Mike Nicholls 115-13-0 peg 4

4. Glenn Bailey 115-06-0 peg 8

5. Ray Bazeley 95-05-0 peg 20

6. Kev Winstone 81-06-0 peg 11

Silvers:

1. Dave Haines 27-06-0 peg 17

2. Hughie Evans 15-08-0 peg 15

Soggy Weigh Sheets:










No comments: