Wednesday 16 September 2020

Tuesday 15/09/2020 - Acorn Widger Match - Specimen Lake

The second match to remove some of the small Carp (Widgers) from the Specimen Lake. The first match I missed and the 32 anglers transferred 3,000 lb of small Carp into the stock pond. With the fishing off on most venue at the moment I didn't expect a repeat.

Zoe did the draw and called me peg 19 - not a clue, but found it to be permanent Speci hut 12. So from Sunday on one of the worse platforms for fishing to one of the best. Life is like that! I had my own detached hut complete with patio doors - pictured. Just a few steps to negotiate from the car excellent. I had plenty of visitors looking for the BBQ.

I had decided to fish LR's over Ringers Carp GB laced with DR's on the Ronnie rig which was set at 5 foot 7 inches (my height) just touching bottom - simple. Didn't take long to set up - except I had a new rig cross over tangle on the winder. All I could see was matey Dave Haines on peg 20. 

Started by cupping in a pot of GB and with single LR on the hook caught a few 1-2 oz Carp, but found it slow so added another DR and found once I got to three on the hook things improved. For the first half of the six hours I regularly added Carp from 1/2 oz to 12 oz by topping up with walnut sized GB after every couple of fish. Come half way the line completely died. I was thinking some bigger Carp might have move in over the feed. So started a line in the margin with the same rig and feed albeit only 3 inch difference in depth. It was slow but at least I was adding ounces to the net. The last three hours I added very little until last cast of the match in the margin hooked a 8 lb Carp which took me into the reeds and was difficult to control due to fishing a long line, but managed to get it in though just a few minutes after the whistle.

I weighed 40 lb 4 oz for fourth overall. Judging from the results the best pegs were the low numbers and on the island. About 750 lb of Widgers transferred so a lot less boilie nibblers to pester the speci hunters.

The match was won by Zac Williams (pictured right with some of his catch) with 96 lb 1 oz. Zac caught on maggot over loose fed maggot at 5 metres. His catch included some better Carp. The top three pictured right.


A big thanks goes to the Bartlett's for forgoing the peg fee and providing some excellent self distant after match food (pictured). If your wondering where all the Prawn sandwiches went ask Des.

Back to the The PoW for a pint - where was Junior?

Result:

1. Zac Williams 96-01-0 Island peg 27

2. Des Shipp 65-03-0 peg 3

3. Anthony Piekielniak 50-09-0 peg Island peg 24.

4. Mike Nicholls 40-04-0 peg 19

5. Darren North 37-07-0 peg Island peg 26

6. Paul Faiers 34-09-0 peg 2

6. Zoe Bartlett 34-09-0 peg 4

Weigh Sheets:
















No comments: