Wednesday 12 August 2020

Tuesday 11/08/2020 - Acorn Cost Cutter - Paddocks

A quick circuit of the fishery to find the aeration system full blast, particularly on peg 27, hope they turn it off before the angler sets up - pictured. Be a good draw today.

Mike drew me peg 6 not unhappy with this but you do feel hemmed in a bit - pictured. Empty peg 7 would have been better as I would have had an empty peg each side. For company I had Incognito on peg 40 - that's the Silvers winner gone then. I could see plenty of Carp about, but whether they would feed is another story.

I set up a worm rig for any Tench straying from peg 40 and a margin paste float - simple. I started by feeding a pot of neat casters at top-set plus three which took me halfway to the bridge and a pot of micro down each margin at top-set. Started after the Tench and after a couple of tiny Carp and Tench I was pestered by Perch and I was getting memorised by the ripping shadow of the bridge, so after an hour gave it up to concentrate on the Carp. A  light breeze was coming towards me from the SE so fished the paste rig to the left and that's when the frustration started.

I was loose feeding a few 4's over the top of the micro and found that it would attract a number of Carp, one or two and if I was really lucky three would end up in the keep net I would then foul hook all subsequent Carp. If I didn't feed I wouldn't get any indications except from the nibblers. It was amazing to watch the Carp stand off the feed area with tails up, head
s down waiting to come in as soon as I fed which would result in some Carp in the keep net and an equal amount foul hooked. The breeze came round 180 degrees, now coming from the SW, so switched to the RH margin and found the same behavior of the Carp. I tried feeding inside and outside the line, reducing the feed and increasing. Whatever, if I didn't feed I caught nothing. The Carp were still standing off waiting for the feed, just like boats waiting to come into harbour. I determined that it was something I had to contend with - crafty buggers. I finished with 26 Carp. I didn't get one foul hooker out but did lose two hooked fairly.

My few Silvers and Carp combined weighed 145 lb 7 oz for third overall. I did go over in one net by 3 lb 15 oz this came about by miss counting one net by one Carp I did realise later it came about after a lean spell. Nonetheless, other than the really hot weather is was another good day out watching the Carp behaviour. Thanks to Bev for bringing us all a cold drink - much appreciated.

The match was won by Glenn Bailey (pictured right) with 169 lb 3 oz from peg 11. Glenn caught on the paste both down the track and both margins. He did have a practice on the method but was retrieving with all the bait still in it!!

The Silvers as predicted was won by Eddy Wynne (pictured right) with 52 lb 14 oz from peg 40. Eddy caught on hard 6 mm pellet over kindered hard 4's up to the bridge mid point.

Spotted Des Shipp (pictured lower middle) who had come down to give Zoe a whipping whip lessons for the up and coming small Carp match planned for next Tuesday on the Specimen Lake. Unfortunately I 
can't make it and sounds like a good day out with BBQ etc... Call Mike Chapman to book in, but not sure if it's sold out 

Result:

1. Glenn Bailey 191-03-0 peg 11

2. Keith Ray 179-09-0 peg 15

3. Mike Nicholls 145-07-0 peg 6

Silvers:

1. Eddy Wynne 52-14-0 peg 40

2. Mike Chapman 33-14-0 peg 3

Weigh Sheets:









No comments: