Monday 3 August 2020

Sunday 02/08/2020 - Tony Rixon's Float Only - Landsend - Specimen, Match and John Walter's Lakes

My route to Landsend fishery was via Ring Road, Brislington, Hartcliffe and A38 and was stopped at 9 sets of traffic lights. Going home decided to go my old route via Wells, A37 and Keynsham and what difference more or less kept on the move all the way, plus a more relaxing drive.

On a arrival I had a walk around the fishery, John Walter's Lake would have been my choice especially the far end. I admit I'm one of the few that like this Lake. Spotted this sign on the fishery so left the pain killers in the car. On close inspection it appeared to be made of dartboard materials.

A number of comments about Tony Rixon's (pictured right) weight loss (I didn't notice anything - mist be gradual). Apparently it's an eat as much as you like diet plus working non-stop at Premier Angling.

Given the choice for either Tony or draw your own peg. Too risky to leave to fate so chose my own which was peg 22 on match Lake. Slightly disappointed as the Lake fished poorly the day before, but do like the pegs on this bank even though the fish seem to be at the other end at the moment. Next peg was pole repairer Clayton Hudson, not much company with his bloody earphones in all day.

Although my game plan was margin paste fishing I thought I would give the Silvers an early chance because Tony was paying the top Silvers on each Lake, so set up two rigs - the Ronnie rig for caster over caster and a 4x12 to fish top-set plus three barrels with 4 mm expander over micro. Started on the expander kindering 10 to 12 micro's every fish and had two 8 oz Skimmers before the Ronnie's arrived, they love the pellet on this venue preferring them to caster. A few more small Ronnie's then I had a 3 lb Carp followed by a foul hooked Carp which I pinged out of to fine the float eye was missing so a new rig fitted, which proved a waste of time as all I could then catch was small Ronnie's and this method isn't the way to build a weight of them. So onto the caster over loose fed same and all I could catch was small Perch and once they petered out all thoughts of Silver abandoned for the margin paste. So paste over micro and loose fed hard 4's in would be. I did enjoy this part of the match catching on and off - catch two then wait for them to return - sneaky fish at this venue. I knew there wasn't enough Carp in this part of the Lake (as nearby peg results show) for a Lake win and also I wasn't foul hooking many which can be a problem. So a steady day catching 15 decent Carp.

My few Silvers weighed 4 lb 11 oz and my Carp 71 lb 4 oz for a total of 75 lb 15 oz for 10th overall and one out of a section pickup. Happy as I felt I got all I could from the peg. As expected the better weights came form the other end of this bank. Still enjoyed it, learning more about paste fishing every match.

The match was won by Paul Elmes (pictured right with the Silvers winner) with 142 lb 12 oz from fancied end peg 11. Paul caught on 6 mm banded over hard 6 mm feed from two places - up to the end bank and over to the end of the opposite island.

The Silvers was won by Glenn Calvert with 16 lb 6 oz with mainly small fish. Glenn caught small Skimmers and Roach long on expander and small Perch and more Roach short on maggot.

Result:











Weigh Sheets:




1 comment:

Simon Gardner said...

Hi Mike.

I really enjoy reading your blogs.

Have been intrigued by your 'Ronnie Rig' for ages, are you able give a little bit more detail about what it is exactly?