Tuesday 4 August 2020

Tuesday 04/08/2020 - Acorn Cost Cutter - Paddocks

Back to Acorn and a quick walk round, again there seems to be a lot of fish at the top end. However, the wind had been blowing into pegs 12, 11 and 10 so any of those would do me.

28 booked in and one no show who would have been on peg 10!! Of course this made the pegs in this area even better. Mike called me bridge peg 40 and no emotion and for company I had Keith Ray who wasn't happy with his peg 39 - didn't blame him, that said I think it put his head in the wrong place showing up by going over in both his nets with one disqualified. Lesson learn I think. Still great company.

As is common knowledge the the big Tench are hiding under the bridges. Previous after match interviews told me the Tench have been caught on paste over micro and hard banded 6's over potted hard 4's. So I set up two paste rigs - one for the middle stanchion and the other down the LH side where the margin was perfect for the way I fish the paste. I also pumped up some 6 mm expander to use on the only other rig a 4x13 MR again for the middle stanchion. I fed the margin with the usual pot of micro and some out to the stanchion with with some hard 4's added. It didn't take long before the fizzing started. Went over it with the expander and immediately started to foul hook Carp. There were certainty plenty showing. Frustrated with that tried the paste and similar happened. Umm. I messed about with this by only feeding hard 4's - this didn't help matters adding one foul hooked Carp to the net. A rethink and got out half a pint of casters I had left over from Sunday and fed some over to the stanchion and went in the margin with paste feeding hard four over the top and had a good run of decent Carp to 10 lb. I reckon I had 40 lb of Carp when I tried the 4x13 with double caster over to stanchion. It was noticeable that there was no fizzing over the caster, nonetheless no bites. So as I shot my paste floats I was able to try a worm over the caster and had an immediate response from the Tench I caught steady for an hour putting Tench to 4 lb in the net. In between feeding caster I tried the margin catching Carp in pairs but they were getting smaller. So by switching between the two lines I kept both Tench and Carp coming. With an hour to go I had used up the caster so resulted in feeding maggot on the Stanchion which worked, but no as well. I thought I had about 50 lb of Tench which would usually be enough to win the Silvers, so spent the last half hour after Carp in the margin with paste in the hope of doing a double bubble. I was expecting a good spell but could only catch Carp to 3 lb.

My Tench weighed in at 49 lb 6 oz and my Carp 84 lb 12 oz for a total of 134 lb 2 oz. I was one Tench out from winning the Silvers, but seconds good. Also I was a couple of decent Carp from winning overall coming third which is also satisfying. So both pools covered, mission accomplished.

The match was won by Bob Smith (pictured right with the Silvers winner - pleased with this pictured.) with 146 lb 11 oz from peg 12. Bob caught long on pellet over to the island for about 40 lb and later down his RH margin with either corn or pellet adding another 100 lb. Well done mate.

The Silvers was won by match organiser Mike "The Tench" Chapman with 51 lb 13 oz from peg 5. Mike caught at top set plus two using double caster hook bait over potted caster. Mike had 20 Tench and some decent Skimmers in his catch. Again well dome matey.

Result:
















Weigh Sheets:








No comments: