Thursday 4 June 2020

Wednesday 03/06/2020 - Meat Head's Knock up - Rood Ashton

Martin Rayet aka Meathead organised an eight peg knock up at Rood Ashton. Because the match was so small I wasn't going to blog but when  heard Barry Fitchew had passed away I felt the need to write something on both. 
I have known Barry for many years and never seen him in other than a jovial mood. As well as meeting with Barry on a number of open matches he started to fish the Over 55's and Silvers league at Hunstrete and showed his class with the caster, picking up on many occasions. The Over 55's will always fondly remember Barry for when he lost his valuable wrist watch in peg 11. Barry paid a diver to go in to find it which failed. I always think of him when I fish peg 11 but especially now. RIP Baz. Talking pictures - saves a thousand words.

.

So eight of us met up on the banks of Rood Ashton Lake. Meathead had booked the top and woods banks, worked out we had 12+ pegs so could have had more fishing. I had a chat with Alan who said he's been very busy. For those that hadn't been here before were impressed with size and quality of the banks although there are no platforms to fish from.

Martin threw the peg cards in the air, I picked up the one nearest which was permanent peg 17, right by my car! The only other angler I could see was Mark Tanner on the next peg 18. With all the hot weather as of late and the fact the Lake is on average two foot deed, sheltered from the wind and no form of aeration I was concerned about the oxygen levels. There was a good few Carp on the surface.

I set up a paste rig for the LH margin where I had a decent depth of two feet. A 4x12 Speedy to fish at 5 metres (Alan had told us that he had used the digger to deepen the lake but only went out 5 metres). I started out in front with 6 mm expander on the hook over kindered hard 4's. The float just sat there with no indications not even form silver fish. I then had a Carp of about 7 lb, followed quickly by a 5 lb Carp. It was clear the Lake was fishing really hard. I couldn't get a bite so switched round to 10 o clock and added another section and caught two more Carp. So I thought I had sorted something out so started switching all over the place in the search of more fish. On all the numerous lines I did get a liner only to see the lone fish bow wave off. I had been feeding the margin with hard 4's so tried the paste which just sat there until it mingled with the silt. I tried the maggot for a silver or two, not a sign. So after two bite less hours I had enough so threw the towel in and decided to watch the method men fishing the island. I found out from Junior that something called a White Washed Out Wafter was best banded bait on the Method. On examination it didn't smell of anything and looked plastic! I did take a pictured of my fish because they did look pristine - about 20 lb.

The match and the biggest fish payout was picked up by Mark "Methodman" Tanner with 12 Carp for 41 lb comprising one 9 lb 11 oz which was the last fish of the match caught on paste. Well done matey.


Result:

1. Mark Tanner 44-0-0 peg 18
2. Lee Massey 38-02-0 peg 20
3. Gary Bowden 38-01-0 peg 15

No comments: