Wednesday 17 June 2020

Tuesday 16/06/2020 - Acorn Cost Cutter - Paddocks

Another visit to this popular fishery and once again sold out with 28 fishing. Credit where credits due Mike Chapman does a great job running these matches in his calm professional way - thanks Mike.

I was told Leyton Palmer was to make a come back today, who did just manage to make it to peg 15 before the all in. He said he was a bit rusty, need to get back to basics and learn how to set the alarm clock would be a good start. Hope he makes another attempt. I hardly recognised him at first with his slimmed down body and hair.

Why is it that whilst thinking about the various pegs you always draw one that you didn't considered. This time Mike called me peg 31. Not the best of pegs for Carp which made my decision to fish for Silvers easy. I thought I had an empty peg both sides until Eric Cantana look-a-like arrived aka Brian Slipper on peg 30. Two pegs down on bridge peg 33 was Paul Nichols - not related doesn't have enough ll's.

Set up a 0.3 shotted paste float for the LH side, a short Ronnie and long Ronnie rig and a 4x12 to fish at top-set plus two barrels. Bait tray: LR's, wetted micros, hard 4's, 4 and 6 mm expanders and my Skimmer GB.

At the start I fed a small ball of GB on the 4x12 line, starting on the short Ronnie rig with single LR on the hook over loose fed LR's. This produce Skimmers and Ronnie's immediately, and noticed a large amount of fizzing over the GB - so won't being going there for a while. Stayed on the shorty for about two hours when it slowed. No sign of Carp so far. Decided to try over the GB with single LR After a too long a wait I had a small Tench and a Skimmer. Deciding it was too slow fed a small ball of GB on the long Ronnie line and went back on the shorty until the fizzing died off over the GB. Again a nice run of Silvers albeit the fish were smaller, but Carp decided to have a look and had two 5 lb fish. With the 4x12 retired I had a go on the long Ronnie rig again with single LR, feeding some LR's over the top. Again kept a few Skimmers and Ronnie's coming - just happy to have bites and put ounces in the net. I noticed the Carp starting to take interest in the loose feed. So had a go on the paste and although I had a couple on this I was foul hooking too many and being well behind Paul decided to get back on the shorty again with single LR and had a run of ten decent Carp!!! Bugger. I did have some better skimmers to 2 lb which was welcome. Back on the long Ronnie rig which was soon trashed by a foul hooked Carp. So back on the shorty and some more Carp and my float tip got trashed in the landing net and with only 5 minutes of the match left fished with it hanging out and had another 2 lb Skimmer on it! I fancied some better fished had now arrived.


I must say I really enjoyed today match except for the thunder storm 30 minutes from the end soaking every thing. My Silvers weighed 28 lb 3 oz for a silvers default pickup with my Carp weight of 63 lb taking me to 91 lb 11 oz which was only good enough for halfway today so the Carp had a right munch.

The Match was won by Paul Nichols (pictured right with some of his catch - I left Gardy in the picture has I've not taken one recently) with 144 lb 12 oz from bridge peg 33. Paul caught most of his fish short in his RH margin fishing worm over GB.

The Silvers was won by Incognito (pictured right and centre bottom) with a terrific weigh of Tench for 88 lb from another bridge peg 22. Eddy caught on pellet over loose fed/cupped pellet. Very nice net of Tench to 6 lb.


Result:

1. Paul Nichols 144-12-0 peg 33
2. Eddie Wynne 139-15-0 peg 22
3. John Thompson 129-13-0 peg 1
4. Walshy 118-14-0 peg 4

Silvers:

1. Eddie Wynne 88-0-0 peg 22
2. Mike Nicholls 28-03-0 peg 31
3. Paul Faiers 27-14-0 peg 40

Weigh Sheets:




No comments: