Wednesday 24 June 2020

Tuesday 23/06/2020 - Acorn Cost Cutter - Paddocks

Currently cramming in three matches a week and with the hot weather I'm finding it hard going. Another visit to Acorn. I Had a walk around and notice loads of fish around pegs 27 and 28 so these would be my pegs of choice today - pictured right.

As is the "New Normal" everyone arrives early and left kicking heels for an hour waiting for the all in. I like it but miss the gatherings at the draw and the banter.

Mike Chapman called me peg 4 - The second time in four matches. I know its a decent peg but was a tad disappointed as I do like to fish different pegs - this would also apply if it won every match. Anyway I soon cheered up when Junior arrived on peg 5.

I set up two Ronnie rigs a long and short, two paste rigs one for down the shelf - where I caught last time on this peg and a Big H Bullit for tight against the bank where I still had 18 inches of water, the other rig was a 4x12 to fish top-set plus one section - this one only had a trial run out.

I have been fishing maggot for the Silvers here but had some casters left over from the weekend including some donated by matey Glenn Calvert so thought I would initially use these for the Silvers. However, I was a tad concerned that the sound of the loose feed might attract the Carp. So with single on the hook over loose feed, and yes first fish a 6 lb Common Carp. Soon followed by another of 2 lb. With these now cleared out I started to catch some decent Ronnie's and small Skimmers. The pesky small Perch didn't seem to like the caster which was a bonus. After an hour the Silvers slowed so went out on the long Ronnie rig with loose fed LR's over single LR and had a couple of Silvers but the wind was awkward so abandoned this.

In the meantime Junior was putting into practice the teach in held by Tony Rixon the day before at Hunstrete in the art of stalking. I must say he did very well at it, but a long way to go to compete with the masters finesse.

Back on the short Ronnie rig, switching to LR's this resulted in foul hooking Carp, in fact I foul hooked seven Carp in quick succession before I gave it up. Time to have a go on the paste down the shelf I had a couple but was foul hooking as many as I was catching, so thought I would take one of the dimensions out of the equation by fishing the Bullit tight again the bank. Stranger things - I would feed and the peg would colour up and I would either catch a Carp or foul hook one. I tried all sorts of feeding but found if I stopped feeding I wouldn't have so much as an indication! I believe these fish are educated such that they only come to the initial feed in numbers hence foul hooking and once one is hooked legally or not they all back off somewhere which cannot be that far away because in a matter of seconds after feeding they are back. The upshot was I was foul hooking as many as I was catching with the Carp always being ahead until I managed to get it back to 14 all and was hoping to take the lead. Alas not we ended up 15 - 17 to the Carp, one of them an 8 lb fish I lost was in the mouth. Driving home I came up with somethings to try next time - if there is a next time, so really wanted to re-fish the match.

My Silvers weighed 13 lb 4 oz and my 14 Carp 64 lb 13 oz for a total of 78 lb 1 oz for 8th overall. The caster was a mistake but worth getting it out of the system. I think my fishing was a bit  clumsy today.

The match was won by the affable Lee Waller (pictured upper right) with 100 lb 13 oz from peg 28 (as I predicted). Lee caught initially on pellet long then switched to paste late on in his margins. Well done Matey and didn't go for a swim.

The Silvers was won Mike Chapman (pictured right) with 27 lb 1 oz from peg 7. Mike caught short on mainly maggot which included some of the big Tench which remain elusive to me!

Next matches:
Thursday: Windmill Cost Cutter - Contact Ken Morgan (Also Chris Ollis running a match at Farleigh Woods
Sunday: Todber - Tony Rixon's Short Pole

Result:

1. Lee Waller 100-13-0 peg 28
2. Keith Ray 100-10-0 peg 18
3. Gary Bowden 95-01-0 peg 5
4. Paul Lasson 91-12-0 peg 15
5. Eddy Wynne 86-03-0 peg 10
6. Bob Smith 85-15-0 peg 13

Silvers:

1. Mike Chapman 27-01-0 peg 7
2. Ant Page 23-01-0 peg 22

Weigh Sheets:














No comments: