Monday 21 October 2019

Sunday 20/09/2019 - Viaduct Silvers League - Round Two - Campbell, Carey and Lodge Lakes

Back with Bela today so first stop Lilliputt cafe for his large + extras. Martin Ryett and Gordon Cannings joined us with their large breakfasts. All of them beat me eating my small one.

Arrived at the fishery early so the usual chats. Into the draw coffee tin and out comes peg 103 Carey. I had this peg recently in Tony's float only and had 26 lb of Silvers so was happy with this one. For company I had Welshman Richard Ahearn. When he arrived at his peg he was nearly in tears as Wales was being beaten by a 14 man French side. He soon cheered up once Wales scored in the dying minutes to win by one point.


There was a nasty skimming wind blowing at me from 2 o'clock, forcing me to put my jacket on. I set up three rigs one for the Ronnie's, one 4x10 for down under the tree on the left for Perch and hopefully late big Skimmers and a 4x12 Winter Titan to fish at 10 meters. I fed the Ronnie line with GB laced with casters, the long Skimmer line with GB laced with DR's and started to loose feed casters under the tree. I started OK on the Ronnie rig catching small Skimmers, Ronnie's and the odd small Perch, however, the wind was a bloody nuisance. I topped up the Ronnie line and tried the long line with double DR's and had a small Ronnie then a Carp. So fed again and went back on the Ronnie rig with single caster and hooked a big Perch which after a short tussle came off - bugger. Richard was now catching small Skimmers regularly at 14.5 metres - certainty out gunning me on the distance. Thinking Perch I went under the tree with double caster and had a 1 lb Perch first try only to lose two more decent ones. I kept trying the Skimmer line picking up the odd small Skimmer which I thought wasn't as productive as the Ronnie's. So I filled in the long line and left it too settle. Back on the Ronnie rig and was at least putting the ounces regularly in the net. Out on the long line and I hooked a Carp. Back under the tree and another Carp - so only the three this match. I had a Banana walk and pegs 102, 100 and 99 were catching well with the rest of the section also rans.

I weighed 12 lb 3 oz for last but one in the section with those lost Perch costing me two more points. On hindsight I wish I had tried a small GB feeder - now in the learning bank.


The match was won by Richard Ahearn (pictured right with his catch) with 33 lb 15 oz from peg 102. Richard had two lines going both at 14.5 metres - one with GB and caster and the other GB and Maggot. Richards swim got better and better as the match progressed with the size of Skimmers increasing. Maggot was the most productive for him.Well done matey.

Richards 16 metre section fell in the Lake. Luckily he had the learned Nick Chedzoy behind him and retrieved it using a Tulip pole roost connected to his landing net handle (pictured right). Nick got it first attempt. I have one of these in the garage which I will now start carrying. Richard was very impressed.

The match fished better than I thought, although a bit patchy.

Result:

1. Richard Ahearn 33-15-0 peg 102
2. Sam Powell 32-04-0 peg 90
3. Paul Elms 27-12-0 peg 68
4. Gary O'Shea 27-09-0 peg 129
5. Martin Tizard 26-10-0 peg 61
6. Tony Rixon 26-09-0 peg 70

Weigh Sheets:


































No comments: