Monday 7 October 2019

Sunday 06/10/2019 - Viaduct Silvers League - Round One - Campbell, Carey and Lodge Lakes

I was looking forward to the start of the Viaduct Silvers League and was hoping for once to get off to a good start.

With Bela off to Stafford Moor for the Autumn Festival I got  lift from Joe McMahon. Bela and I have learnt our lesson about discussing pegs. We particularly don't discuss pegs we don't want. However, I fell into a trap when asked by Joe what peg I would like "peg 78" I say, then elaborated by saying I didn't want Campbell - Oh no!!

First stop Shipham for breakfast Joe eats as much a Bela but at half speed. It was OK needs some tinned tomatoes.

Arrived in plenty of time but didn't walk around as I didn't have to I just wanted to be out of the horrendous wind blowing across the Lakes.

Late into the draw bag and out comes peg 116 on Campbell - bugger the last peg I would have chosen. Carp peg plus the horrendous wind blowing in at me 1t 11 o'clock. For company I had Martin Rayet on pier peg 115 and Nick Chedzoy on peg 118. We couldn't communicate much due to the wind but could hear everyone on the far bank! And who turns up on my wanted peg - Joe McMahon - Umm.

I optimistically set up the Ronnie rig, a 4x14 Titan which would do for any line I wanted to fish. Due to the wind I also set up a typical Skimmer GB feeder.

I fed a line at top set plus four with two balls of GB laced with caster and one ball laced also with caster on the Ronnie Line. I started on the Ronnie line and didn't have any indications, but kept hooking branches tied together in a ball by fishing line. So out on double caster on the long line and again nothing not even a Ronnie. I was struggling whilst Martin had a good start catching decent skimmer on pellet. So I took off a section and fed some GB laced with micro and pumped some 4mm expanders. So meanwhile I had a cast on the feeder and hooked a small Ronnie which fell off. Next cast a decent bite lead to landing a 5 lb Carp. The expander's had now cooked so tried them and had a run of 4 oz Skimmers before I started to hook Carp after Carp losing two rigs and one elastic - bugger. I set up a 4 x12 Winter to fish in the margin at half a top set and caught some decent Ronnie's before I hooked more Carp landing the famous  "No Tail" now weighing about 14 lb. So two hours to go I walked the section and other than Martin everyone appeared to be struggling. I decided to switch to double maggot over the pellet line over GB laced with DR's to catch anything I could. Blimey didn't this switch the Carp on one after the other but did catch a 4 lb Bream and one about 1 lb in between tying new hook lengths. 

I weighed 12 lb 10 oz for fourth in section definitely not the start I wanted. I hooked 21 Cap and was on my last 0.1 hook length by the end. It's was definitely the case of either trying to avoid Carp and catching little or take it on the chin with the Carp and catch the odd better Skimmer. Most anglers facing the wind at my end of the Lake struggled.

The match was one by the affable Nick Ewers (pictured upper right) with 35 lb 3 oz from Carey peg 105. Nick initially caught at  5 metres then in his margin later all over GB and DR's.

Runner up was Fred Roberts (pictured right) with 30 lb 14 oz from Carey peg 80. Fred caught on soft pellet over micro.


Third was Joe McMahon on my peg (pictured right) with 29 lb 10 oz next to Fred on Carey peg 78. Joe caught on Caster and GB either long or down to the edge of the RH tree.

Considering the weather conditions it fished well for Silvers - and for some Carp!!

We stopped in the garage on the way home and Joe came back with a box of cakes, crisps, a sugar drink and coffee. Of course I nagged him all the way home about his unhealthy eating. Joe is a Artic driver so must be eating Yorkie bars those "Not for Girls". That said Joe is a credit to his parents, kind and helpful to everyone.


Weigh Sheets:





































No comments: